06. 𝗯𝗲 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲𝗳𝘂𝗹 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝘄𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗮𝘀𝗸

ESZTER WANDERED ON HER OWN WHILE WANDA AND AGNES ATTENDED THEIR MEETING. She had no intentions of waiting at the pool for an hour as they discussed the talent show later, so Eszter turned the other direction and began walking down the sidewalk. Eszter eyed everything as she took her brief exploration of Westview, deciding what she wanted to see more of the town.

     With her back to the community pool after a quick goodbye to Wanda, Eszter assured her sister that she'd meet her in time before the show. Eszter smiled at a few residents she'd never met, though the teenager recognized a few familiar faces as she breezed by.

     "Morning, ma'am!" Dennis, the mailman, shouts from across the street. He lifted his arm and clutched the side of his hand with a salute, a smile tugging on his lips.

     Eszter jerks her head toward the sound of the voice, shooting him a smile. "Morning, Dennis," called Eszter, slowing her stride a tad to match Dennis' pace. "How're you doing?"

     The smile on his face never shifts. "Oh, you know, just hanging on," cackled Dennis, hand on his belly and shoulders shaking. "Say, how's that sister of yours and the brother-in-law?"

     "Great. Thanks for asking," Eszter cranes her neck to the side, blinking in silence as she stares at Dennis with her brows knitted into a worried expression. "You sure you're doing alright, Dennis?" Eszter's smile slowly contorted into a concerned frown, though the look of worrisome was etching onto her features. "You seem . . . tense."

     However, Dennis merely cackled dismissively of Eszter's worries, seemingly in a good mood rather than how she perceived him. He didn't show anything concerning. Dennis looked high on life and was bubbling with energy, but something was unsettling deep in Eszter's chest as if something was squeezing her heart. There was an odd feeling she couldn't quite note because it was being masked, but Eszter knew that something was there; she just needed to dig a little deeper.

     "I feel fantastic!" Dennis was bursting with glee, flashing a toothy smile. "You know me; I enjoy the outside with every chance that I get! I'm rarely ever home." Eszter pressed her lips into a tight smile, trying to diminish the icky feeling resonating in her chest and becoming uncomfortable. "See ya on my next round, kiddo!"

     Eszter didn't respond goodbye as she watched Dennis continue with his stride down the other side of the sidewalk, continuing with his merry way. His arms were swinging back and forth with sheer content, pleasantly in a good mood, much to Eszter's confusion. Dennis slipped into another conversation with a fellow neighbor. He seemed to know everyone in this neighborhood, even somehow knowing Eszter with little to no greeting.

     The frown on Eszter's face twisted into a puzzled amusement, furrowing her brows quickly before shaking her head and continuing her walk, trying to distract herself. It was achingly silent to Eszter's liking as she wandered around town, hating that her mind had the opportunity to run wild with thoughts. Typically, Eszter enjoys her alone-time, but it's moments like these where she'd hate the silence allowing her consciousness to question everything in her life.

     Everything about this town was interesting in its own way and sounded like a dream to live in, and Eszter can say she agrees because she's witnessing Wanda's happily ever after. Wanda's life is everything they've always wanted, and Eszter felt almost free when she got the chance to visit her sister. The Maximoff sisters don't like dwelling on the past, but they've come so far that Eszter couldn't help but feel close to happiness. A rainbow is hidden behind the storm. Maybe that's all they needed, a push in the right direction.

     Eszter lets her feet guide her around town, turning up and down streets, wounding up at the public library. She supposes finding something to pass by time would be something Eszter should do to distract her of the day, and what better way than reading a couple of books in the meantime. The lack of reading Eszter had left her feeling lonely without the loveable main characters she always manages to fall in love with. A story that starts with the main characters, either enemies or friends, who have to come together to help the other character and slowly fall in has always been Eszter's favorite trope. Maybe it was the childish dreams that TV presents to little girls--wanting to find their prince charming, but Eszter found herself eager to dive into the world of rom-coms. Unlike Wanda, who enjoys the television version, Eszter loves reading the two main characters realizing they like their best friend or nemesis.