- Insanity -

XIX

They drove back to her apartment and stopped just in front of Namjoon's pub.

Taehyung turned off the engine and clung on the handbrake, pulling it upwards and bringing the car to a halt. He then paused his movements and stared at Eda.

He observed her quietly. His gaze followed her arm up to her shoulder, her braided hair, and then to her side profile. He kept staring at her bluntly, when suddenly she turned her head towards him and gazed back at him.

"What?" She asked.

"I'm sorry if I got angry at you before."

"Don't be. You were right."

He lightly shook his head, but kept his eyes on her. Once again they found themselves gawking at each other in silence. He then tilted his head and squinted his eyes.

"You don't like losing when it comes to a staring competition, do you?" The side of his mouth lifted into a mocking grin.

She blinked once. "Well, you know what they say? The eyes are the windows to the soul." She retorted. "And no, I don't like to let go of my pride."

He remained silent and stared at her eyes. As much as he wanted to keep looking at her, her gaze was way too intense to resist. Her eyes went deep into him and made him feel as if he was being easily read like an open book. Or even more like a public newspaper poster. But when it came to reading her, it was impossible. Her eyes showed no emotion, no sign, no movement. Still, cold and opaque.

He looked away and chuckled to himself. "You're good."

Eda smiled victoriously and averted her stare as well. "I have to go." She said after a pause.

"Wait." He stopped her without even thinking.

She looked at him and waited for him to continue.

He pressed his lips nervously and smiled. "Let me buy you lunch, or something. I feel bad for bringing you with me today so suddenly."

She went quiet for a moment before she spoke emotionlessly. "Thank you, detective, but I'm fine."

"Please doctor, let me pay you back." He pleaded with the intention of keeping a close eye on her.

She thought for a moment and looked to her side. As her eyes fell on the familiar pub, her posture softened and she let her back strain towards him. The sudden idea in her mind, bringing her to change her decision.

"I have a big appetite, I have to warn you."

He giggle and replied with an approving nod. "Well, I guess we found something in common."

She stared at him up and down before getting out of the car and following him inside the pub.

As they moved closer to the entrance, she kept staring at his back and thinking. He walked faster than her inside the pub to greet his friend, but as he opened the door, he found him behind the counter talking to his phone.

His voice was serious and sounded almost desperate.

"Man, look- you..." he paused, as it sounded like the other person on the line wouldn't let him finish. "I know, I know."

Taehyung walked closer to him and Eda followed shortly after.

Namjoon didn't notice them yet, as his focus was completely overtaken by the serious call.

"It's been 4 months man. You can't keep-" he was interrupted yet again and he massaged his temple in frustration. "No, I'm not saying that. I'm just trying to help you..."