- Mind game -

XLIII

Taehyung stared at her for a moment. "Why do you want to do this?"

Eda pressed her lips as her eyes dropped to his police badge.

He gulped.

"Let me help."

He blinked unsure of the situation. He knew he could trust her, she had proven to have quite the skill of reading people so he knew she would do a good job. But her skill wasn't what had him uneasy. Her safety on the other hand was. What if he attacked her?

"I don't think it's a good idea." He pressed his lips.

"He won't do anything. He's handcuffed and he knows it would make no sense."

Taehyung dropped his gaze and huffed. "That guy," he pointed to the shut door. "Is as dumb as an ostridge." His hand moved to push his bangs aggressively. "You're not a police officer or an accomplice. I can't let you in even if I wanted to."

Eda clenched her jaw but remained quiet while staring daggers at him. A sudden rush of anger pulsed her veins to her fisted hands. She turned to leave but not before she felt her arm tugged by a bigger and surprisingly soft hand. She looked at the grip and back at his soft expression.

"Just..."

She searched his eyes.

"Stay here. I'll let you know anything I can after the interrogation is over. I promise."

That must've been the softest 'I promise' she had ever heard. She pushed her unnecessary thought back and nodded before slowly taking her hand from his.

Taehyung wondered as to why he owed her any explanation. Even if the car belonged to James they did not know if this had anything to do with Ellen's case. Still, he thought she might have hoped it did and he would dig into it without blinking.

Jimin witnessed the whole scene. He looked at Eda's figure walking to the seats up ahead and frowned. He then observed Taehyung and saw him hesitating to follow her before he also turned and walked towards a desk with a lot of boxes on it. Probably evidence of the case.

But as Jungkook was about to walk to Taehyung, Jimin gripped his shoulder and halted him.

"Wait."

Jungkook stared at him confused. "What? We need to let him know!"

"Not yet."

He frowned. "What are talking about? Let go!"

"Listen." He stepped closer to him. "If we tell him now he'll lose it. He trusts her way too much. This might end up badly and we might not be able to find out anything if Dr. Black is how he describes her to be."

Jungkook looked back at Taehyung.

Jimin continued. "She's smart. She might deny the whole thing and we don't have enough evidence. Besides, he already knew her address was suspicious but she cleared it up. How to say she won't clear this up as well?"

The journalist glanced at the woman. "Besides, there's always a possibility we could be wrong."

Jungkook realized he had a point. They needed more time and definitely more attentiveness in this matter. He then nodded with a huff.

"Also..." Jimin added. "It'll be hard on him if we're right."

They both stared at their friend knowing of his growing affection for Eda.

~

Taehyung closed the door behind him as he felt Jame's stare following his movements. His look went back to stone as he took his seat and stared at him with his chin raised.