- No trace -

XXIV

"She didn't do it." Stated Jimin with solemnity and confidence.

"How would you know that? Are you sure you know her that well?" Taehyung challenged him.

Jimin ceased right before entering their building. He swerved and faced him, feeling a little bit offended. "I just know."

Taehyung looked to his side and shoved his hands in his jacket's pockets. He then looked back at him while whiffing out. "Can you really know that? I mean it was written on the papers, and we saw a photo of her withdrawing the money."

Jimin looked down hiding his face from his friend. "There must be a reason." He insisted with a stern voice but sounded fragile as well.

Taehyung scanned him from head to toe, wondering whether he should ask the upcoming sensitive question. "Do you love her?"

Jimin's fisted his hands and looked back at him without a hint of doubt. "I do."

He sighed and looked away in surrender. "We're not sure yet so... I'll look more into it. It could be a misunderstanding."

Jimin's eyes shot up, filled with hope and admiration for his best friend, knowing how every time he proved he could rely on him blindly, even if it put him in a difficult situation.

"Thanks, Tae." He lightly smiled.

"Don't thank me just yet. I can't promise you she could be innocent." He tucked his arms and bit his inner cheek while averting his gaze to the side.

Jimin gulped a not that had formed his throat since they came back from the hospital and slowly nodded.

Taehyung stared back at him and released a quiet sigh. "Go and rest. We'll talk later." He then turned around and left with no further interactions, as he felt his friend's eyes observing him until he reached his car and drove off.

~

Taehyung left Jimin at their apartment, not wanting to involve him more in the meantime since he faced a traumatic experience and needed to rest. He drove back to the tall skyscraper where the accident had occurred and where Jungkook was expecting him with hopefully good news.

He entered the big glass doors and jogged his way towards the security room.

He opened the door and found Jungkook resting his fingers on his chin in skepticism while carefully watching the footage from other angles of the building.

The security team was helplessly searching for the supposed car that drove off, but seemed to be all in vain.

Taehyung stood next to Jungkook and folded his arms, crossing them on his chest. "Nothing yet?"

Jungkook shook his head. "Nothing at all. We checked everything, but the camera that was facing the accident isn't working while the other ones were pointing in other directions."

"But one of them must have at least captured the car leaving." Taehyung pointed out.

"We checked, but looks like the car drove off to a blind spot. Weird enough, since in that hour no other cars were leaving the parking lot, so we don't even have a lead." Wondered the inspector.

"Didn't you say the malfunction of the camera was recent?" Taehyung leaned forward while observing the computer screen.

"Yeah, apparently it stopped working a couple of hours ago like I said."

The detective frowned.

Coincidence?

"Does that sound weird or what?" Jungkook added and glared at the man sitting on the chair in front of them.