xii. the chicken will not be amused

𖣯 ✹ 🌷(makligr) ꏍ !┈─❟
╰───►chapter twelve; hiccup
❝ the chicken will not be amused!

     HICCUP IS VERY proud of himself.

     Considering everything that has happened the past few days, Hiccup finally was proud of something; beaming about it and unable to wait for just a second before showing it to his friends. The wind was strong up above the centre of the island; billowing in a precise gale beneath the cliffs. Hiccup carefully gazed downwards, a hand on Toothless's crown as he shuffled beside him, making sure he wouldn't be swept up.

    He breathed a grin, his heart leaping with possibilities. He was so excited, even the disgruntled complaints of his friends finally arriving behind him couldn't change his mood.

    "Urgh! My back! Ruffnut, hit it━OWW! Nice..."

    "I think I out-walked my toes."

    "You can't out-walk toes, Snotlout."

    "What do you know, Yrsa? Are you an expert on toe out-walking?"

    "No, but I do have something called common sense, you should try it sometime."

    "Wow... for someone who started complaining not even halfway up here, you're awfully smug."

   "Why couldn't we just fly our dragons up here?"

   "Because the winds are too strong, Ruff! Though, I have to admit, I wasn't planning on such a long walk this early in the morning."

    "Okay," Astrid cut everyone off, letting out a loud groan as they all stopped a good distance back from the cliff's edge. Hiccup glanced back at them, giving them all a bright grin ... until he locked eyes with Yrsa, and for a moment, his cheery disposition failed him. She pursed her lips, knowing exactly what he was thinking about, and instead crossed her arms over her stomach, casting her gaze away and muttering something to Snotlout beside her (an unexpected friendship, but now, Hiccup saw them standing by each other constantly). "Hiccup, you dragged us all the way up here."

    "Now," Tuffnut fixed his helmet, "what is it you have to show us? It better involve food or destruction. Or a combination of the two."

     Hiccup grinned again and spun to his saddle bag. Toothless warbled. He was not happy about this idea at all. Hiccup narrowed his gaze at him for a second, oh hush, you, he told him. "I bet you're all wondering why I brought you up here today!"

    "Wow, it's like you're psychic," muttered Yrsa sarcastically.

    Astrid coughed to try and hide her laugh. Hiccup scowled at the both of them. "Hilarious. No. The answer is: to show you my latest invention," he rummaged through the bag, finding the new invention easily. It was bulky; he barely managed to shove it in. Grasping two light metal bars, he pulled out━ "Presenting, the Dragonfly One!"

    Their reactions were not exactly what he expected. He thought he'd might get some surprised gasps from Fishlegs, an eye roll or two from Snotlout, complete disagreement from Astrid and Yrsa, and confusion from the Twins. Instead, they all just stared at him blankly as if he was showing them the most boring thing in the world.