xxiii. shock and awe

𖣯 ✹ 🌷(makligr) ꏍ !┈─❟
╰───►chapter twenty-three; hiccup
❝ shock and awe!

    HICCUP KNEW what day it was━immediately━the moment he returned from his morning flight with Toothless and saw all of his charcoal stuck up along his cabin walls━far out of his reach. He gaped, seeing them all in ridiculous places: some stuck to the support beams, some sticking out behind the ladder up towards his bed, a few set out around on the walls to make circles and other shapes━each and every one of them kept in place by dragon glue: a substance made with the saliva of a dragon and a few other herbs ... the perfect creation to be sure something had a very strong (and flame-protectant) stick. 

    He spun around, "What the━?"

    "Loki'd!"

    The shout made him jump, flinging his hands up over his head━he heard her laugh, very satisfied with herself. He scowled up at Yrsa who stood at the edge of the landing above, smirking and crossing her arms. 

    Hiccup's arms dropped, "Seriously?" he grumbled up at her. She stifled more laughter. "How long━" he jumped to try and grasp one of his charcoals off the wall. He missed it by a mile. "Seriously?" he let out again. "How much time did you waste doing this?"

     She climbed down, smug, "The perfect amount of time. Because you━" she waggled her fingers at him as she passed him to head to the door, "━just got Loki'd! By me," she grinned, tapping her thumbs against her chest. "Loki'd━by me. Me. I did this."

    "Yeah," he said flatly as he watched her give Toothless a hung under one arm as she started to leave. "Yeah, I━I got that."

    "By me," she added as she walked backwards away from his hut. He watched her go, nodding and smiling sarcastically. Yrsa dramatically pointed to herself, "I Loki'd you."

     "I heard you the first time!"

    "By me!"

    He sighed, shaking his head but the smile turned from being sarcastic into something genuine━knowing exactly how this day will play out. Little did Yrsa know that her hut was ... perhaps ... very much definitely in a similar sticky predicament.

     He casually leaned out the side of his hut, watching her run off to hers, very proud of what she achieved. Hiccup cleared his throat, looking down at his boot as she pulled open the door to enter inside━

    "HICCUP!"

    Hiccup stifled his chuckles to himself and stepped back inside his hut, feeling as though this day has already started off on a high. Every year, on Loki Day, was the only day Hiccup let himself fall intro the art of 'tricks' and the 'trickster' as the Twins always put it. It started when they were younger, and he realised how fun it was to trick and prank Yrsa━her reactions, as always, made him grin and smile. When he realised how flustered and frustrated he could make her over the smallest tease or practical joke, Hiccup kept on doing them. Loki Day, however, was when he went all out━and Yrsa went all out in retaliation. At first, it was to prove to him that she wasn't bothered, that she could trick and get the same reaction out of him ... after nearly five years, well, it had become an unspoken annual competition. (One that Hiccup won, every year━no matter how much Yrsa argued the fact). 

    And when they all gradually made their way to the Clubhouse for breakfast, Hiccup was still milling his laughter into his food to see Yrsa glowering at him from opposite the cold fire, drenched from head to toe.