xiii. back to the wild

𖣯 ✹ 🌷(makligr) ꏍ !┈─❟
╰───►chapter thirteen; yrsa
❝ back to the wild!

    "WANT TO bet on this?"

    Yrsa peered at Snotlout beside her from where they stood waiting outside the arena. They were all racing to beat the dome in order to check the closing speed of the mechanical system Hiccup created. Not that Hiccup knew, but they all were definitely turning this into a competition to see who could beat the dome the fastest.

    "You ... really want to bet over Hiccup and Toothless not being fast enough?"

    Snotlout stared at her. She was waiting for the realisation to hit him. Then, he made a face, "Uh, duh, Yrsa, that's how betting works."

    Yrsa bit back an amused smirk, knowing she was going to win this easy. "Okay. Uh ... I bet that Hiccup will be the fastest; you have to take off everything 'S' related from your hut."

    He soon scowled. Crossing his arms, he then decided. "Wow, look at that, I've changed my mind."

    Yrsa smirked, smug.

    Astrid turned her nose up at them. "How ... how are you guys friends?"

    Glancing at her, Yrsa just shrugged. Astrid scoffed, shaking her head in amusement. Then she gasped, pointing out to the edge of the forest as a slender dark dragon shot out of the midst of dense wood. "There they are!"

    Yrsa's attention spun quickly upwards to the sky, smacking Snotlout right in his chest in her attempt to gather his focus. He doubled over, coughing, winded. "Ow," he managed.

    Fishlegs waved over to the Twins, "Close the dome!" they stood by their new lever mechanism. Jumping away from checking the hairs on their lips, Ruff and Tuff shared a grin.

    "And so the drama begins!" announced Ruffnut.

    Her brother nodded, slowly walking up to the large lever as Hiccup and Toothless weaved around the sea stacks. Yrsa watched them, eager to have a go herself. She and Helrose were determined to be the fastest for once, and this could be their chance. "One man," said Tuffnut dramatically, "one dragon, one leg━" together, he and his sister pushed the lever down with all their might, "━versus one rapidly closing dome."

    With many creaks and clinks, the open dome of the arena started to fold out around the perimetre. This didn't scare or fase Hiccup who merely checked where they were over his shoulder and pulled Toothless up for a spin and back down. Yrsa watched from the edge, hearing the Night Fury shriek as he picked up speed. He and his rider darted underneath into the caves below and Yrsa spun around, eager to see them reappear before the doors closed.

    Snotlout scoffed, crossing his arms beside her, "Yeah, there's no way he's making that."

    Just as he said so, Hiccup and Toothless shot up through the crack. Yrsa bit back her smirk as they darted out of the closing dome with only seconds to spare, glancing at Snotlout with a raised brow to say, want to take that back?

    Toothless spread out his wings and ducked his head down, searching for the reaction of a specific Viking. Yrsa glanced up and chuckled to see his expectant gaze. When she set him a thumbs up, he gave her a gummy grin in return, very happy as he set down on the grass with Hiccup giving Yrsa a flat-stare himself. Snotlout grumbled, very unhappy while Astrid and Fishlegs applauded.