Chapter ten: Temeria

I wake up feeling the sun on my eyes as I was now facing the window, Geralt nowhere to be seen and I sigh as I sit up, swinging my legs over the bed and standing up as I stretch, lifting my arms above my head as my night shirt rides up exposing my scar. Hearing the door open I quickly put my arms down, pulling my night shirt down as Geralt entered the room with a plate of food.

"I got you some breakfast."

He says quietly, setting the plate down on the table and I thank him, eating in silence.

"So. About last night."

Geralt starts and I hold up my hand to stop him and he gives me a look.

"Don't. It's fine Geralt, besides you look more rested than you have in a month."

I say and he chuckles to himself and nods, sitting on the edge of the bed.

"I found a job."

Geralt says quietly and I raise my eyebrow at him in curiosity.

"Something had been killing miners in Termina. Another witcher was supposed to help them but I was told he took the miners coin and ran. Get dressed and I'll meet you downstairs so we can get going."

Geralt says standing up, grabbing his bag and swords and leaving the room so I can get dressed. Taking off my night shirt I put on the blue one I bought the day before, lacing up my corset on top before putting on the fur vest, taking a look at myself in the mirror with a small smile. The old lady was right, I looked beautiful in this top. Pulling my hair out of its braid I quickly comb out the long strands of (H/C) curls, pinning the sides up and tying it with a ribbon, leaving the rest down for the moment before grabbing my sword and tying it to my belt and grabbing my bag, leaving the room with a soft smile feeling confident in my new outfit. Walking down the stairs I feel a bunch of eyes on me and I quickly make my way out of the bar, whispers from some of the men filling my ears with compliments on my body. Walking out of the bar I shiver slightly as the wind blows, it having snowed the night before and I look around for Geralt, seeing him talking to the innkeeper a bit down the road and I walk over to him, the innkeeper looking me up and down with a lusty look.

"Are we good to go?"

I ask Geralt and he nods, glaring at the man still staring at me and we start walking towards the town gates.

"He's still staring at you isn't he?"

Geralt whispers to me and I nod, pulling on the hem of my shirt as I start to feel uncomfortable and Geralt takes my hand gently pulling me closer to him and I relax at his touch, feeling the innkeeper take his eyes off me.

"So, how long did you let me sleep for? It's almost afternoon."

I ask, Geralt glancing down at me with a smile.

"About three hours more than me. I wasn't the only one who needed a good night's rest."

Geralt says and I shake my head at him, letting go of his hand and putting mine on my hips.

"You should have woken me up earlier Geralt. Now we'll get to the mine at nightfall."

Geralt chuckles at my slightly angered response, rolling his eyes at me. When we did reach the mines Geralt motions for me to keep quiet and I nod, hearing angry voices coming up from the mine as we enter, Geralt leaning against a sidewall watching the miners debate on what to do, mentioning the usurper of nilfgaard and I roll my eyes at them.

"You can't kill the vukodlak, so you decide to kill your king? Great plan."

Geralt says and I look between him and the miners with a soft glare.

"Another fucking witcher! We've already been swindled by your kind once."

The miner says spitting on the floor as an insult to Geralt and I glare at him, crossing my arms across my chest in anger.

"He only takes the money after the job is done."

I say to the man and he scoffs, glaring at me as he points to Geralt.

"And what are you supposed to be? His pet?!"

The miner growls out as some of his friends laugh at his remark and I move my hand to my side, grabbing my sword hilt with white knuckles in anger, Geralt holding an arm out to stop me from attacking the man.

"And I'll take payment at a third of the price, an apology from my guild to yours."

Geralt says and I relax my hand, taking it away from my sword and the miner looks to his friends for support.

"And if you can't kill it?"

He asks Geralt and I glance at Geralt with a slightly sad look, the thought hadn't crossed my mind that what if Geralt faced a monster too strong for him.

"Then I die."

Geralt says nonchalantly and I feel my heart drop to my stomach at his words, no way was I going to let that happen. I get lost in my own thoughts about the topic, ignoring the soldiers entering and being told to leave until Geralt places his hand on my back pulling me out of my head as he starts leading me out of the mine with the guards.

"Wait, what happened?"

I ask him with a confused look and he smiles at my words with a soft chuckle.

"We're being kicked out of Termina, get lost in thought for a moment there?"

Geralt asks me and I nod, a scowl gracing my lips as I think back to his words as we are led through the woods we came from, and I feel something start forming in my gut, sensing magic. Looking around I hear whispering as the guards fall from their horses, passed out and Geralt draws his blade and I draw mine as well, trying to find the source of the magic.

"Witcher."

I hear a woman say and turn around quickly, pointing my blade at her chest as she stops walking toward us.

"You can both put your blades down, I'm not here to hurt you."

The woman says and Geralt glares at her, keeping his blade out.

"Says the witch hiding in the forest."

Geralt says and I look between them, the feeling in my stomach going away and I hesitate, slowly lowering my sword. She looked familiar to me, but I couldn't pull the memory from my head as to why she did.

"Sorceress, I work for king Foltest. My name is Triss Merigold."

A smile form's on my face as the name clicks, and I sheath my sword Geralt looking at me concerned.

"Triss, I thought it was you!"

I say excitedly and she looks at me confused for a moment before a smile dawns on her lips and she pulls me into a hug.

"(Y/N)! It's so good to see you, how has your stomach healed?"

She asks me, letting me go and holding my hands in hers as Geralt stares at our strange exchange.

"Only thing left is the scar, your magic did wonders my friend."

I say quietly to her before she turns her attention back to Geralt.

"And how do you know this witcher?"

Triss asks me and I give Geralt a small smile.

"I've been traveling with him for about four months, helping as his healer."

I tell her and Geralt nods, confirming my story.

"Is this Foltest's plan? To send you to do his dirty work?"

I ask Triss and she shakes her head, letting go of my hands.

"No, this is my plan, my coin."

Triss says, looking Geralt up and down and I look at him as well.

"So, you want me to kill this creature?"

Geralt asks, sheathing his blade and I look between them both with slight concern.

"No. I don't want you to kill the creature. I want you to help me save it."