Chapter thirty-six: On the road again

TRIGGER WARNING: MENTIONS OF R*PE AGEAD, READER DISCRETION IS ADVISED!

Feeling a hand shake my arm I quickly sit up, turning to look at Geralt and Ciri stirs awake next to me.

"Geralt?"

Ciri asks tiredly and I see the serious look in his eyes and I immediately know something is wrong.

"Roach and Nareas are by the gate with the bags, if anyone other than me leaves this place, get her out of here."

Geralt says to me and I nod, getting out of the bed quickly and grabbing my boots, putting them on as Ciri looks between Geralt and I confused.

"What's happening?"

Ciri asks Geralt as I grab her coat and my sword from the table, strapping it to my waist and she gets out of the bed, confusion lacing her delicate features.

"There's a bruxa in the house."

Geralt says as he takes one of his elixirs, Ciri grabbing his shoulder as she speaks.

"A what? What are you doing? What's going on Geralt?"

Ciri asks as she turns Geralt around and I quickly grab her hand off his shoulder as she sees his eyes gone black, his skin pale as blue veins show beneath his skin, a frightened look on her face.

"Come on, we need to move, now. I'll explain later."

I say as I wrap her coat around her shoulders and she nods, tossing on her shoes and I quickly lead her out of the house, getting the horses ready to move. A loud scream is heard from the house and Ciri hesitates, and I notice her hands shaking slightly when the glass window shatters, the bruxa's body being thrown out of it. I quickly turn my gaze to Ciri as she leaves Roaches side and I panic slightly.

"Ciri don't-"

I warn her as I draw my sword, Ciri reaching out to the bruxa as I quickly rush over to her.

"He hurt me..."

The bruxa says as Geralt jumps out of the broken window, the bruxa moving her body as she stands, sickening cracks coming out of her body as I grab Ciri's shoulders. Pulling her to me and away from the bruxa, Geralt gives me a look, one I knew very well.

"Ciri, stay close to me. That woman is the bruxa."

I whisper to her as I pull her back slightly, covering her ears as the bruxa screams at Geralt, throwing him across the yard and my heart drops as I hear him let out a pained yell. Ciri quickly turns to me and as we take a couple steps back the bruxa turns to us, her chittering voice echoing in my head.

"Don't run."

The bruxa says and I put myself in front of Ciri, holding my sword out in front of us as a barrier, the bruxa glancing at my blade.

"I can't help myself if you run. He's wrong, I don't want to hurt you two."

The bruxa says and I narrow my eyes at her, sensing the truth behind her words, but my instincts tell me to keep Ciri safe. Geralt comes up behind the bruxa and swings at her as she dodges to the side and I grab Ciri's hand.

"Now, move."

I say and she nods, running with me to the horses and I quickly untie the reins to Roaches bit, handing them to Ciri.

"Now listen to me, you stay right here. Do not move from Roaches side, do you understand me?"

I say sternly, Ciri nodding quickly and I smile slightly before turning and grabbing Nareas reins, struggling to untie them as I watch Geralt fighting the bruxa, my heart steadily dropping in my chest with each fleeting moment.