Chapter thirty-three: Loss of a friend

"Yennefer?!"

I yell out, looking around at the fallen soldiers as Geralt walks behind me with Ciri on Roach, holding Nareas reins, my heart sinking as we get closer and closer to where the troops are still searching.

"Yennefer!"

I hear a woman scream and I motion for Geralt to stop, looking around for the voice and I see a woman with blood and bruises on her face.

"Ciri, stay on Roach."

I say softly as I give her a reassuring smile, walking over with Geralt to the woman who screamed.

"Where is she?"

I ask her and the woman gives me a glare.

"And who are you to her exactly?"

The woman asks and I set my jaw in irritation.

"Is she alive?"

Geralt asks the woman and I see her lip quiver, my heart dropping into my stomach.

"We won, because of her. She bought us time until the armies arrived."

The woman says as her voice wavers and I bite my lip softly, trying to fight back the tears that wanted to come as I glared at the woman.

"Was it worth it?"

I ask her softly, malice lacing my words before I turn, walking back to Ciri as Geralt puts his arm around my waist comfortingly.

"Yennefer, will you please tell me who she is?"

Ciri asks us as I grab Roaches reigns, walking forward past the fallen soldiers.

"It doesn't matter. She's gone now."

Geralt says and I focus on the ground as tears roll down my cheeks. Grabbing Nareas reins I get on her saddle, Geralt getting on Roach behind Ciri as we ride on. The sun began to set when I stopped, getting off Nareas saddle and gathering some firewood as Geralt built a small wall out of branches and moss.

"(Y/N)."

Ciri says quietly as she walks over to me and I give her a small smile, standing up after starting the fire.

"Yes dear? Is something the matter?"

I ask her and she shakes her head softly, looking at the ground and I take her hand, noticing how cold it was and I frown.

"You're freezing. Come, sit with me by the fire. You need to get warm."

I say and I sit down, pulling her to me as she cuddles close, Geralt smiling softly as I tuck some fly away hair behind her ear gently.

"How long have you been traveling together?"

Ciri asks me as I grab some food from my bag next to me, handing it to her with a smile.

"Many years. Don't worry hun, we'll keep you safe. We're very good at our jobs."

I say with a smile, Geralt sitting down across from us against a tree and Ciri eats the food I gave her quietly, watching the fire.

"How did you meet?"

Ciri asks me quietly and I give Geralt a look as he chuckles.

"She was dragging a dead buck she shot. I stopped to help her deliver it to the market."

Geralt says fondly and I roll my eyes at him with a smile as Ciri chuckles.

"I would have gotten it there eventually, but he seemed so lonely I just couldn't refuse his offer to help."