Chapter Thirty-four: Nivellen

WARNING: MENTIONS OF ATTEMPTED SUICIDE AHEAD, READER DISCRETION IS ADVISED. alright lovelies, another chapter down! Anyone else feel really bad for Nivellen when he talks about his father? I did, I felt that. But anyways, off the the chapter!

"So, what exactly is Kaer Morhen?"

Ciri asks Geralt as we continue our journey, my own curiosity piqued at her question.

"It's where witchers go during the winter. There, we can rest up and heal. Replace armor and elixirs. It's my home."

Geralt says as he walks beside Ciri as she's on Roach, looking around the area as I ride next to Ciri.

"Why haven't I ever heard of it?"

I ask Geralt and he turns around, giving me a small smirk before turning back to the road.

"Because we like it that way."

Geralt says and I roll my eyes at him softly with a smile.

"Why?"

Ciri asks and Geralt sighs softly.

"There was an attack. A long time ago when I was a boy. Almost wiped us all out."

Geralt says before turning to look up at Ciri.

"So now we like to keep a low profile."

Geralt says with a slight smile before turning back to the road and I chuckle softly as Ciri hums in thought.

"In Cintra I used to dress up like a boy just so I could play knucklebones."

Ciri says and I chuckle, giving her a look.

"When I first started hunting monsters I used to bind my chest so I'd look like a man just to keep people's attention. Haven't had to do it in a long time though, made for quite the pain when I got hurt."

I say softly and Ciri giggles softly at my story, Geralt glancing back at me with a smirk and a soft chuckle.

"Seems we all need to keep a low profile."

Geralt says as Roach snorts, an uneasy feeling growing in my stomach as I look around the forest.

"Were you attacked because you're different?"

Ciri asks Geralt and I glance at her with slight worry. What was she feeling if she had to ask that question?

"Sure. We can't see the future like you can. Back on the battlefield, when you saw me and that woman before it happened."

Geralt says and I frown slightly, looking at Ciri curiously.

"Yes, well, it was... it was more like a dream. Hazy, it was... it was weird."

Ciri says with an uneasy look and I lean over, giving her hand a gentle pat.

"Whatever it was, we'll figure it out my dear."

I say softly before the uneasy feeling in my stomach grows as we come upon a ripped up animal, Geralt frowning as he grabs his dagger from his pack, Roach letting out a frightened whine.

"Shhh."

Geralt says, using axii to calm down Roach as he pets her neck softly.

"How did you do that?"

Ciri asks as I get off Nareas saddle, walking over to Geralt with a soft frown.

"It's called Axii. It's a calming sign."

I say softly as I gently pet Roaches nose, helping calm her down.

"Magic? Like... like a druid?"

Ciri asks as Geralt walks over to the ripped up animal and I shake my head softly.