4

" Five years ago, I had a heart attack and dropped right in the middle of my back swing. Turned out, it was the best round of my life because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass, I found something 40 years in the army had never taught me. Perspective. The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt. You have fought for us, protected us,risked your lives, but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some who prefer the term vigilantes", Everett Ross says at the front of the conference room.

" And what word would you use, Mr.Secretary?", Natasha asks.

" How about dangerous? What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?", He asks, then steps aside as a map of the world pops up on the screen, "New York. Washington D.C., Sokovia, Lagos".

" Okay, that's enough", Steve says as he looks over at Wanda.

" For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution. The Sokovia Accords", He says as he hands the document to Wanda, " Approved by 117 countries, it states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel, only when and if that panel deems it necessary".

" The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that", Steve says.

" Tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now? If I misplaced a couple of 30 megaton nukes, you can bet there'd be consequences. Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground", Ross says.

" So, there are contingencies", Rhodes says.

" Three days from now, the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the Accords. Talk it over", Ross says.

" And if we come to a decision you don't like?" Natasha asks.

" Then you retire", He says, causing a slight smirk to form on both Natasha and Lauren's faces.

" Thank you for your time, Mr.Secretary," Lauren says with a smile.

" Always a please, Miss Stone", Ross says.

" Rogers, actually. A-And it would be Mrs.", Lauren says as she puts her hand over Steve's.

" Congratulations", He says with a smile, then exits the room.

" Could you tell that I was faking that?" Lauren asks.

" You fake a lot of things, hon", Tony says.

" Gee thanks," Lauren says.