12

Lauren sits with her back up against the wall of the dingy building they managed to squeeze into. None of them are able to remove her cuffs, so they're staying on her wrists. And believe me, she's not happy about that.

As soon as Bucky starts to stir, Sam goes to grab Steve.

" Steve", Bucky says as Steve walks into the room.

" Which Bucky am I talking to?", Steve asks.

" Your mom's name was Sarah... you used to wear newspapers in your shoes", Bucky says.

" You can't read that in a museum", Steve says.

" Just like that, we're supposed to be cool?", Sam asks.

" What did I do?", Bucky asks.

" Enough", Steve says.

" Oh, God, I knew this would happen. Everything HYDRA put inside me is still there. All he had to do was say the goddamn words", Bucky says.

" Who was he?", Steve asks.

" I don't know", Bucky says.

" People are dead. The bombing, the setup, the doctor did all that just to get 10 minutes with you", Steve says, " I need you to do better than that".

" He wanted to know about Siberia. Where I was kept", Bucky says, " He wanted to know exactly where".

" Why would he need to know that?", Steve asks.

" Because I'm not the only Winter Soldier", Bucky says.

And so, Bucky explains. Ever last excruciating detail. The thought of it making Lauren's jaw tense

" Who were they?", Steve asks.

" Their most elite death squad. More kills than anyone in HYDRA history. And that was before the serum", Bucky says.

" They all turn out like you?", Sam asks.

" Worse", Lauren responds blankly.

" The doctor, could he control them?", Steve asks.

" Enough", Bucky says.

" Said he wanted to see an empire fall", Stevesays.

" With these guys, he could do it. They speak 30 languages, can hide in plain sight, infiltrate, assassinate, destabilize. They can take a whole country down in one night, you'd never see them coming", Bucky says.

" This would've been a lot easier a week ago", Sam says as he, Lauren and Steve walk towards a corner.

" If we call Tony...", Steve says.

" No, he won't believe us", Lauren says.

" Even if he did", Steve says.

" Who knows if the Accords would let him help", Sam says.

" We're on our own", Steve says.

" Maybe not. I know a guy".