5

The Avengers are growing more divided now that the accords have been dropped in their lap. Some agree with it, and some don't

" Secretary Ross has a Congressional Medal of Honor, which is one more than you have", Rhodes says.

" So let's say we agree to this thing. How long is it gonna be before they LoJack us like a bunch of common criminals?" Sam asks.

" 117 countries want to sign this. 117, Sam, and you're just like, no that's cool. We got it", Rhodes says.

" How long are you going to play both sides?" Sam asks.

" I have an equation", Vision says.

" Oh, well this will clear it up", Sam says.

" In the eight years since Mr. Stark announced himself as Iron Man, the number of known enhanced persons has grown exponentially. And, during the same period, the number of potentially world ending events has risen at a commensurate rate", Vision says.

" Are you saying it's our fault?" Steve asks.

" I'm saying there may be a causality. Our very strength invites challenge. Challenge incites conflict. And conflict... breads catastrophe. Oversight... oversight is not an idea that can me dismissed out of hand", Vision says.

" Boom", Rhodes says.

" Tony... you're being uncharacteristically non-hyperverbal", Natasha says.

" That's cause he's already made up his mind", Steve says.

" Boy, you know me so well", Tony says as he stands up, " Actually, I'm nursing an electromagnetic headache. That's what's going on, Cap. It's just pain. It's discomfort. Who's putting coffee grounds in the disposal? Am I running a bed and breakfast for a biker gang? Oh, that's Charles Spencer, by the way. He's a great kid. Computer engineering degree, 3.6 GPA, had a floor-level gig at Intel planned for the fall. But, first, he wanted to put a few miles on his soul, before he parked it behind a desk. See the world. Maybe be of service. Charlie didn't want to go to Vegas or Fort Lauderdale, which is what I would do. He didn't go to Paris or Amsterdam, which sounds fun. He decided to spend his summer building sustainable housing for the poor. Guess where. Sokovia. He wanted to make a difference, I suppose. We won't know because we dropped a building on him while we were kicking ass. There's no decision-making process here. We need to be put in check. Whatever form that takes, I'm game. If we can't accept limitations, if we're boundary-less, we're no better than the bad guys."

Lauren and Natasha share at look at Tony's words.

"Tony, someone dies on your watch, you don't give up", Steve says.

" Who said we're giving up?" Tony asks.

" We are if we're not taking responsibility for our actions. This document just shifts the blame", Steve says.

" I'm sorry, Steve. That is dangerously arrogant. This is the United Nations we're talking about. It's not the World Security Council, it's not S.H.I.E.L.D., it's not HYDRA", Rhodes says.

" Don't even think about bringing HYDRA into this," Lauren says.

" No, but it's run by people with agendas, and agendas change", Steve says.

" That's good. That's why I'm here. When I realized what my weapons were capable of in the wrong hands, I shut it down and stopped manufacturing", Tony says.

" Tony, you chose to do that. If we sign this, we surrender our right to choose. What if this panel sends us somewhere we don't think we should go? What if there's somewhere we need to go and they don't let us?" Steve asks.

"What he means to say is: we may not be perfect, but the safest hands are still our own", Lauren says.

" If we don't do this now, it's gonna be done to us later. That's the fact. That won't be pretty", Tony says.

" You're saying they'll come for me", Wanda says.

" We would protect you", Vision says.

" Indefinitely," Lauren says. 

" Maybe Tony's right. If we have one hand on the wheel, we can still steer. If we take it off--," Natasha says.

" Aren't you the same woman who told the government to kiss her ass a few years ago?" Sam asks.

" I'm just... I'm reading the terrain. We have made some very public mistakes. We need to win their trust back", Natasha says.

" Focus up. I'm sorry. Did I mishear you, or did you agree with me?", Tony asks.

" I want to take it back now", Natasha says.

" No, you can't retract it. Thank you. Unprecedented. Okay. Case closed. I win", Tony says.

Lauren looks down at Steve's phone from her position of standing right behind his chair, and reads one line.

She's gone.

" I have to go", Steve says as he stands up and walks out of the room.

" Lauren, what's--", Natasha starts, but she walks out before she can finish.

Lauren rushes out of the room, only to see her husband with his head in his hand at the bottom of the stairs. She walks down to him. Once he hears her, he looks up at her. No words are exchanged. She only open up her arms, bringing him into her embrace as she allows him to cry freely. Steve uses her shoulder as a head-rest as she soothingly combs through his perfect hair. She find tears welling up in her eyes. Lauren takes a deep breath, doing her best to be stable during this time. She gently kisses the side of his head, then continues to be a human-pillow for as long as he needs.