3

He hadn't thought this through.

Hiro leaned over the boat's railing and took a deep breath as his stomach did another somersault. Who would have thought that he'd hate boats? They looked so charming. From a respectable distance.

Maybe he should just give up his subterfuge, turn demon, and fly along this damn wooden torture device.

Rama joined him at the railing without a word, pulled Hiro's hand in his, and dropped a few cuts of something pale yellow on his palm. "Eat," he commanded. "You'll feel better."

The smell assaulted Hiro's nostrils and had his stomach turn. Still, he couldn't resist that rich brown gaze with its silent demand or the kindness of Rama's act.

He took a tentative bite, aware of Rama's eyes on him. The heat of that gaze on his lips rivaled the tingling of whatever he was chewing. It tasted as strong as it smelled.

He told himself he was just trying to blend in with the humans. He could digest anything they could, though he had no actual use for food or water.

"I take it you don't usually travel by boat," Rama said, turning to look at the dark waters of the Indus river.

"Never had to," Hiro said. "We follow the caravaning routes from Dera Rawal to Harappa and Mohenjo-Daro."

Well, more or less. They were useful landmarks while flying.

"Tell me about Dera Rawal. I heard stories."

Hiro chuckled, then slammed his hand over his mouth as the ship moved in a way his stomach didn't like. It took him a while before he could speak again. "Which ones? The ones about our military prowess and our ferocious leader? Or the ones about magic?"

Rama huffed. "I heard both, though I doubt your tribe is very magical. You'd magic your shipments. You wouldn't need wood so desperately. And you surely wouldn't get seasick on a flat-bottomed riverboat that barely moves."

Hiro smirked and swiped at the man who easily evaded him. With that sudden move, his stomach decided it had enough.

Only when he came up for air, did he notice Rama's hand on his back. The slight caress of the man's fingers made him shiver.

Rama took a step back, and the touch vanished. Hiro's chest ached at the distance, a sweet longing searing his entire miserable body.

For hell's sake, what am I thinking? He's—

"Sit," Rama said. He tugged Hiro to a pile of sacks on deck.

The heat of those strong fingers circling his wrist made his skin prick and something in his chest tighten.

"You're a mess," Rama said without a trace of malice, pushing his water container in Hiro's hands. "Drink. Small sips."

Hiro didn't have the heart to refuse. He tipped the hollow zebu bull horn and rinsed the foul taste from his mouth. In between sips, he watched the man in front of him and wondered why he cared for a seasick stranger.

"Magic comes at a price," he finally told Rama, handing the horn back when his stomach had settled somewhat. "No point wasting it for small inconveniences."

"Does it now? And what is the price for this notorious magic of yours?"

"Your soul," Hiro said, eyes locked with Rama's to gauge his reaction.

The man just stared at him. "Couldn't come up with something more original? Every religion and its uncle wants my soul."

Probably because it was the most powerful element in the universe. It created demons, angels, and hell knew what else, though Hiro doubted any of the human priests had figured that out yet.

"Your soul for our protection and for access to our superior metal," Hiro said with a shrug. "I didn't make the rules."

Rama leaned in, hampering Hiro's ability to breathe. "So, say I believe your nonsense, how would it work?"

Hiro couldn't stop himself. His fingertips traced Rama's bare chest. "Your blood in me. My mark on your skin. Right here." His fingers came to rest on Rama's sternum.

The man didn't move as Hiro trailed his hand down to his stomach and brushed the dark trail below his navel. Their eyes stayed locked, and all Hiro could see was the warmth in Rama's gaze. All he felt was the heat that pulsed through his veins.

He swallowed hard and ducked under Rama's arm to get away.

Away from a really, really bad idea.

Fuck.

"What happens then?" Rama asked, as if Hiro hadn't been moments away from throwing the human down and kissing him senseless before exploring how he tasted.

Hiro's fingers clenched around the railing before he looked back at the black-haired menace to his sanity. "Then you'd belong to me."

The words settled in his chest, wrapped around his pounding heart. He swallowed and avoided Rama's steady gaze. "Y-Your soul would belong to me, and I'd protect it forever."

Now wouldn't that be glorious? The ache in his chest magnified.

"You'd possess my soul?" Rama's eyes narrowed.

"Not in the literal sense. Not until you die."

"So you'd have every reason to kill me."

The thought made Hiro's stomach lurch again. He reached Rama's side in two steps, forced his chin up, and said, "Anyone who'd lay a finger on you would die an instant, agonizing death. I'd never take your life. I'd protect it with mine."

Rama's lips parted. He—He...

Hiro pulled away before he gave in to temptation.

"All nonsense of course," the warrior said with a small smile playing around the corner of his mouth.

Hiro couldn't help but laugh.

If only.