12

Five creatures approached from the north, wings large, leathery, and unmistakably demonic. His stomach dropped when he noticed the double line of scars circling their throat. Their scales didn't hide the mark every single one of their enemies wore proudly.

The Rohi.

"Protect the humans at all cost. Turn demon, and wait for my sign to attack."

Yasser nodded, and Hiro ran, swaying and stomach be damned. He needed to get to Rama's side before they struck. The humans didn't stand a chance. Hell, even he and his demons didn't.

He found Rama surrounded by his mercenaries, swords drawn, staring at the threat in the sky.

"Rama..."

"What are they?"

This wasn't how he'd wanted to tell him. Hiro swallowed hard. "Demons. My enemies. Unbeatable to humans."

A muscle in Rama's jaw ticked. "But not to you?"

"I don't know," he admitted, "but I will try."

The Rohi were getting too close. There was no more time.

Hiro turned demon, forcing his hellfire powers through his body until his skin turned into blood-red scales and his wings ripped from his back.

Rama and his mercenaries backed away, their wide-eyed attention entirely on him. Aching, Hiro noticed the white-knuckled grip Rama had on the hilt of the sword pointed at him.

He got it. But it still hurt.

Holding up his hands, he looked at Rama. "I'm still your ally. I—

That's when all hell broke loose. Humans climbed aboard on all sides, dripping wet and armed to the teeth. They turned on the bewildered crew.

Rama straightened his shoulder and looked Hiro dead in the eye. "You take on the winged bastards. Leave these to me."

It was a strange moment for happiness to surge through his veins, but Rama's acceptance, the trust he showed him made it wash over him nonetheless.

As soon as Rama threw himself into the human chaos on deck, Hiro took flight. Pushing his hellfire flaming on his palms outward, he threw up a fiery shield. The first hellfire bolt from above hit, and his shield wavered but held.

The Rohi were huddled together, back to back in defense. There was no opening. No other way.

He pushed his wings harder, gaining speed, and barreled into the demon closest to him. As soon as he hit the male, he forced every bit of his powers into the shield.

The sickly-sweet smell of burning flesh surrounded him, while hellfire bolts pummeled his shield. A sword sliced his unguarded back, and Hiro let himself drop, away from the Rohi.

Then pushed himself back up to help his warriors who had reached the Rohi too. The chaos he had created had given them the smallest of openings, and they were taking it.

His hellfire wavered. Too much of his powers consumed to heal the burns and wound on his back. Hiro drew his sword and charged the female closest to him.

He realized his mistake as soon as she turned to him. Rather than the double lines scarring her throat, she had four. Chief of the Rohi. One of the better warriors without a doubt.

She blocked his attack and sliced his side once, twice. Hiro used the one benefit he had compared to the warriors, his speed. He flitted through the sky. He dropped and turned and dodged the barrage of attacks she unleashed upon him.

It didn't seem to matter. She evaded his every move. Added marks on his skin, hacking into his flesh at every turn.

All he could do was buy time. For his warriors to even the odds. For the humans to flee before the Rohi turned on them.

Time for Rama to live.

So he fought. Paid with flesh and blood for every moment.

The female circled him, unharmed by his lacking attacks. He looked for an opening that wasn't there. Heart battering against his ribs, Hiro knew he didn't have long before his body would shut down on him. She'd have free rein to incinerate him.

Sword raised, he charged again.

The female blocked and blasted a hellfire bolt into him with her other hand.

His chest exploded in white-hot agony. He vaguely realized he was no longer holding his sword. His wings barely held him up.

Fingers closed around his throat. Too weak to fight her hold, Hiro found her dark eyes wild with the fire of battle.

"Where is Erisi?" the female demanded to know.

Sharp flares eviscerated his chest. He tried to breathe. "N-not here," he croaked. "She—she sent me."

"You? You can barely fight," she scoffed. "It was supposed to be her. I would have thought her precious young were enough of a reason to go after the wood herself."

With the little breath and power he had left, Hiro struggled against her hold. He needed to warn Erisi. Make sure she didn't leave the strongh—

The female dropped him, sending a hellfire bolt after him that slammed into his shoulder.

He crashed on the deck. A sharp pain shot through his leg, robbing him of what little breath he had left.

Still he heard her order echo in the sky. "Kill them all."

Rama...

Hiro pushed himself up, slammed back against the wood when the muscles in his shoulder and chest failed him in a blazing ball of agony.

Again.

"Hiro..." That voice behind him...

He turned, saw Rama stagger, hands on a gaping wound in his chest. Caught the flash of fire coming from the sky.

He grabbed Rama's arm, pulled him in, and covered his body with his own.

The world burst into flame.