16

He couldn't do this.

Looking up at the walls surrounding Harappa, Hiro dug his nails into his palms while he tried not to turn around and head straight back to Dera Rawal.

It was simple really. He'd pay a visit to the wood merchant and follow the leads he got. He'd check in with his scouts in the city. And he'd go talk to some of the leaders Erisi wanted on their side. He'd keep himself so busy he wouldn't even think about—

Oh, who was he kidding?

He straightened his shoulders and walked through the gate, setting a steady pace to the marketplace.

When he arrived, the wood merchant took one look at his face and fell to his knees in the dust. "Shri."

"Get up," he bit out. He had no patience for the man's groveling today.

"He's inside," the merchant squeaked.

Hiro unsheathed his sword and stormed in, ready to fight his enemy.

"Hiro of the Arav."

That soft voice stopped Hiro's world, righted it, until he remembered all the reasons why he couldn't be where Rama was.

The warrior stood before him in the semi-darkness of the house, his face grave, his body sporting the half-healed wounds Hiro hadn't been able to prevent. The perfect reminder of why he shouldn't—

"Don't you dare walk away again," Rama said.

Hiro closed his eyes and shoved his palm against his thundering heart. "I can't stay."

He felt the man's warmth without even opening his eyes. Squeezed them shut harder when Rama tipped up his chin.

"I have a deal with the Arav."

Hiro's eyes flew open.

"My soul for a lifetime with you."

He could only stare at the man, sure he'd finally lost the last shreds of his sanity.

"It took some convincing. Your leader really is quite fearsome. But I think your brother got through to her."

His heart was trying to break through his ribs. Frantic, he tried to think. He didn't see the mark on the man's body yet. The deal wasn't final. He could still turn back.

"Don't d-do it," he pleaded. "I'd rather live in agony than know you died because of me, because of the Arav and the demons we war with. I'd rather you have decades to live than—

"Except it is not your choice," Rama said, his voice soft and without reproach. "It's mine. And I refuse to live decades without you."

"Rama..." He found himself touching the man's cheek. The memory didn't do this justice. There was nothing like hearing that low voice, drowning in Rama's eyes, touching his skin.

"Are you mine?" Rama asked him.

"Yours." He didn't even have to think. It was his one certainty amid the chaos.

Rama pulled his body in, chest to chest, his lips tantalizingly close when he whispered, "Then take my soul, Hiro of the Arav. Make me yours too."

Hiro tried to find the words. The reasons why he should refuse.

He couldn't.

He made the only choice that was truly his.

"Mine," he whispered and claimed Rama's lips.