Don't Leave Me Behind

I didn't have much time...

The games would start soon and tomorrow was the day that I would get that chip in my wrist.

Yoongi told me that there was a way that I could escape. Usually, that night, they would give the victim a drink and it was so powerful that it would put them to sleep. While they slept, then they would put the chip inside of them.

"This happened to me," he said, "and unfortunately I did not awaken for a whole day after that."

"So what do I do? Not drink it?"

He nodded, "Yes, don't drink it. It won't be too painful when they put it in. The chip is paper thin. But the thing is...someone did escape."

"How? And why did you not tell the others?"

Yoongi sighed and covered his face with his hand, "I tried. Hans is smart. He will watch you as you drink what they give you. It makes it almost impossible to slip this step past."

"Then why are you telling me?" I groaned.

Yoongi touched my shoulder, "Don't worry. You can fake it...you have to find way."

"What would I do after?"

"Once they put the chip in and leave, you can take it out. At this point, it has not had time to connect itself to your veins yet."

"Is this why they give us the drink?"

"Huh?"

"The drink. Is it to let the chip embed itself in us?"

He nodded, "It has to be. The other man escaped. He told me..."

I took a deep breath, "Ok. I will do this. Did he say how painful the chip implant was?"

Yoongi nodded, "It is paper thin it does not hurt much."

So the drink was for the chip to cure and for us to be oblivious to the fact that we could just pull it out before the incision healed.

I took a deep breath, "I want to escape but I feel like a nasty person leaving you behind."

Yoongi gave me a smirk, "You can't stay."

He laughed dryly and then stood up to leave.

I grabbed his hand, stopping him.

"No, don't leave yet...I don't have much time to talk to you." I begged. 

A woman had just died beside me and the knowledge that it could very well be Yoongi in that position one day made me sad. 

He looked nervously around and then quickly shook his head.

"It doesn't matter...I can't get closer to you. I slipped up once I can't again."

"It does matter!" I said, "You don't have to get close, just let me make you laugh. Please."

Yoongi covered his eyes with his hand, "I can't..."

"Yoongi!"

He stepped away from me, stumbling back into a stack of hay. He sat there stunned for a moment then he laughed. 

He calmed down then got himself out of the hay.

"I--I can't let myself like you," he said, "I am sorry. I cared too much. You must leave without me."

"But..."

"Stop." he held out a hand, "You are selfish."

"ME?"

I was shocked.

"Yes, you. You keep trying to keep talking and knowing about me."

"What's wrong with that?" I was confused.

"If you get close to me it will make it hard for you to leave. So don't."

His voice was low and soft at the same time. I could sense some bitterness as well.

He was right though. I didn't want to admit it.

"That time..." he was blushing now and his voice became quieter, "I kissed you...that was a lapse on my part."

"Yoongi how could you..."

He blinked and looked away, "I am sorry. I missed so many things. I hadn't felt a human connection for a while now...its been a month. So when you cared about me...I..."

He stumbled over his words.

"Nevermind," he said quickly, turning to leave.

"No!" I said a bit too loudly.

I put a hand over my mouth and Yoongi turned and stared right at me.

"Y/N!" he exclaimed in a hushed voice, "No?"

I felt cold all over. Yoongi was judging me now. I could see it. 

"I'm sorry," I mumbled, "you can go."

"Prepare yourself tomorrow to stay awake," he told me. Then he left the stall. I watched him until my eyes couldn't see him anymore.

I missed his shy and brazen self already.

...........................................