Chapter 3- Substitute

Chattering and the clanking of the utensils against the dishes filled the background of the dining hall, Eli and Aurum sat at their usual table by the far-left corner waiting for Javier to carry their lunch.

Aurum laid across the bench resting his head in Eli's lap, his red hair splayed across the white uniform and a few strands sweeping the clean, white tiles.

His lazily put together uniform reflected in the smile he gave Eli who shook his head at the boy who was toying with the buttons on his shirt. Aurum while he knew social cues and personal space existed, didn't necessarily follow them.

It wasn't in his nature. Eli found out that dagons were expressive, possessive creatures and they wouldn't hesitate to demonstrate that in public as well.

The duo attracted a lot of attention, especially with Eli being married and the students not knowing the nature of Aurum and Eli's relationship. They had begun to speculate that Aurum was a third and their relationship was open.

Aurum leaned up, pecking Eli on his cheek before telling him he would go in search for Javier to see what was holding him up so long.

Aurum grunted when he sat up and pushed off the bench in search leaving Eli alone with his thoughts momentarily. It was moments like these he'd find himself missing Akira, her personality always seemed to light up the entire room.

He wondered just how Elana and Akira were doing, they hadn't heard from them in the last couple weeks.

"What's on your mind?" Eli looked up to see Zeke and Ethan taking a seat across from him, Zeke with a small smile on his face and Ethan with a look of concern.

"It's nothing really, long night."

"Really long." Eli jumped at the warm breath that tickled his ear as Javier took the lobe between his teeth.

Eli blushed pushing Javier away who chuckled at behaviour before sitting beside him, grasping his hand beneath the table with Aurum in tow resting the trays of food on the table.

"Everytime I see you I swear you're atleast an inch taller"

"I still can't believe he's taller than me." Eli replied to Zeke, glancing at the lanky red-head who was grinning at him. Aurum was stuffing his face with food from the pile that was on the tray before him.

"Don't even start Pa, I'm a growing boy." Eli snorted at that. If Aurum grew anymore he'd start to believe the boy was a giant and not a dragon.

"Not much of boy with legs like those, diablito." The group chuckled slightly, Aurum's face heating up a bit before he pouted and turned away from the group.

The group ate while conversing about random school things, like their new substitute conjuration teacher, Mr. Fullman.

They had gone through about six teachers in two years, none of them getting a full-term contract due to the principal's hope for Mr. Donia's return.

Eli was wondering just what became of his father-figure, he hadn't heard anything from him in a year and a half so he was dead for all Eli knew.

The bell rang a few moments after signaling the end of lunch and for them to head to their classes. Ethan and Zeke headed off to Evocation leaving the tiny family behind.

Eli and Javier had Conjuration now, and Aurum would be off to Divination. Aurum didn't have a specific mage type, not like Eli or Javier. He was efficient in anything he did really, and after they tested him with the sorbeo papers it was clear that Aurum was in a class of his own.

He didn't have a special affinity to any school of magic, however he was quite skilled in using magic from all the schools so to protect him the group decided it was best he practised Divination as his main school to avoid suspicion.

"Can we eat out tonight?" Eli pursed his lips at the question, redirecting his gaze from Aurum to Javier making it his decision.

"Ahh, sure, it's been a while no?"

"Okay, where do you wanna go then?"

"I don't know." He mumbled while shrugging his shoulders, he knew his pa would get a bit annoyed at him for his indecisiveness.

"Okay tell us later then." Eli breathed out a heavy sigh and with a small wave he watched as Aurum ran off to class with some of his classmates trailing along with him.

"He's quite popular isn't he?"

"Not as much as a certain somebody."

"Who?" Eli looked at him as if to ask was that really a question and Javier grinned. "Well, if I'm considered 'popular' then you would be too."

"What? Why?" Eli had an incredulous look on his face as if the news was actually shocking to him. He wasn't one to really pay attention to anyone outside the people he called family.

"Me, you, Leo and Brenda are always neck to neck in all the exams. Plus, let's not forget you're now a member of the House Rodriguez."

"Okay... so you may have a point but that doesn't mean that I'm-" Eli was cut short as he walked into a wall, or rather what felt like a wall.

"Oh, sorry, excuse me young man." Eli looked up to meet black and violet eyes peering down at him.

"Oh no, it's my bad, should've watched where I was going." Eli said as he rubbed the back of his head, bashful.

"Well since we've established who's at fault, would you mind showing me to the fifth year conjuration class." Eli's eyes widened in realization, this man was the new teacher.

"Mr. Fullman?" The teacher's mismatched eyes focused on Javier, the smirk on his face not faltering at all, if anything it grew.

"At your service." He said with a faux bow.

"Umm, well, we're in your class so you can walk with us." The statement ended up sounded more like a question and Eli wanted nothing more than to get away from the awkward situation.

"That would be great, but don't I know you from somewhere?" The question was directed to Javier whose brows furrowed in deep-thought.

Javier had never seen the man in his life. He'd have definitely remembered if he had, the man had an air to him.

From his smooth darker skin, his beautiful black and violet eyes, to the snake he had tattooed on his right hand.

The teacher saw Javier's gaze and pulled the sleeve of the blazer down to cover it, frowning when he realized he forgot his gloves.

He wore the teacher's version to the school uniform which proved he was a substitute teacher.

The uniform was basically the same except for the change in the golden designs on the blazer. His hair was cut short and gelled back with a side part. Only a lock of hair was out of place but it worked for him, and his body seemed to have been honed to perfection over the span of years. Not overly muscular but lithe and toned.

"No, I'm not sure you do."

"Ah, well whatever, common face is all." Javier shrugged and entered the class first, Eli right behind him attempting to escape the gaze of his new teacher.

"But I'm pretty sure that I know you." Eli froze. The voice was but a whisper but he knew what he had heard and he felt a familiar chill race down his spine.

It had been years since he'd felt like this. Since he'd felt, watched... No the feeling was more than that, it was more like, feeling like prey.

With one last glance to those captivating eyes that were locked on him he slipped through the door and prayed that he was overreacting.

"Good Morning class, I'll be your new substitute teacher for this conjuration class. My name is Alaric Fullman, and I'm sure it will be a pleasure teaching you all."

The man's gaze locked with Eli's for a second, not long enough for Eli to feel as if he'd picked him out specifically but long enough for him to know that he'd looked at him.

In that moment when the class was about to start, Eli's phone vibrated so he opted to take it out and turn it off but froze when he saw a message from someone he hadn't spoken to in over a year.

His eyes widened when he read the message that said, I'm back.