Chapter 14- Killing Dead

"You're dead."

"Not dead enough apparently." The sickly sweet smile the former teacher sported put Eli on edge and he felt himself reach behind him, just to make sure Aurum was still there.

Aurum, you're going to have to leave me.

"How are you alive Spear?" Eli asked, releasing Aurum and pushing him back slightly, conveying his message physically as well.

What? No. I won't. Pa please, I'll fight too.

"Spear? Did they stop teaching common courtesy here?" Eli eyed the man warily, he was dressed in the same amor as the rest of the goons he had just killed.

His brunette hair looked even shorter than it was before, his skin was filled with burn scars and Eli had never seen anything more repulsive as the older man smiled at them, his almond eyes trained on the taller boy behind him.

No! He's far more experienced than the guards not to mention dead. Go find Ethan and Zeke and stay with them.

"I'm afraid respect is wasted on the dead." Eli watched as the man's eye twitched and he lightly hit Aurum, hoping he would just leave before it was too late.

But Pa-

Aurum, trust me. I'll be fine, I can't worry about you fighting him. I'll find you right after, if I get the chance I'll run too. You know better than anyone else that I'll always find you. Aurum lightly squeezed his hand before turning away and sprinting down the corridor.

Eli quickly deflected the blade that Spear had thrown at Aurum with his spear.

"Your dragon left you." Eli didn't respond, merely raised his spear, assuming a defensive stance.

The shadows were useless in the face of a skilled abjurer. He needed to cut him down, and quickly.

He was on edge. He felt as if he was being watched by many eyes, he couldn't see any more potential enemies but he felt them.

He released a breath feeling the magicules flow from his body and into his surroundings, his mind perfectly calm as he observed the threat infront of him.

"Shouldn't I be on the defensive? I'm the abjurer here Mr. King." Spear created two V-shaped shields, a smirk on his face as he attempted to bait Eli into attacking.

Without breaking eye-contact Eli created multiple bullets of water, firing them all toward Spear who swatted them away with his shields.

His defense is far stronger than anything I've went against. Eli noted as one of his bullets went on to shatter a column. He would need a stronger, more concentrated spell to break through those shields.

The undead teacher charged him, closing the distance and creating a more advantageous situation for himself as he swiped at Eli with the shields, a grin on his face.

"I taught you better than that King!" He exclaimed as he threw the shield that narrowly grazed Eli's cheek as he dodged it.

Eli huffed, reigning in his brewing anger. He needed to create some space between them, distract him and run. He didn't need to win this fight, only escape.

He created two massive blasts of water and hurled them at Spear who threw up a barrier that stopped the incoming attacks.

While the droplets dispersed against the barrier, Eli shot a blast of fire that hit the barrier as well that sizzled and created some much needed steam.