Chapter 5- New Teacher

"You had a wedding? A mortal wedding?" The surprise was evident on Mr. D's face. He hadn't expected this news at all. "And I missed it."

The surprise that painted his features slowly melted into a guilty, remorseful look, one that Eli didn't want to ever see on the man's face again.

"It's fine. It wasn't grand or anything like that. It was more for my mother than it was for me. She always wanted to see me married, and it makes me feel better knowing I could do one more thing for her."

The sun had set long ago, the humming of the bugs and whispers of the wind in perfect harmony as the star lights peppered the clear night sky providing a vector for sight.

Eli had recounted most of what Mr. D had missed in the last years, telling him of Aurum's development and the new adjustments he's had to make in his life.

Not only is he happy, more importantly he's satisfied, satisfied with his newfound family, including his closest friends, Zeke and Ethan.

"I've missed a lot."

"Yeah... but I don't blame you or anything." He frantically raced out. The air was quickly becoming awkward with Eli's blabbering and Mr. D's guilt. "I get that you had to-"

"I'll be there for you."

"What?"

"I'll be there for you, whenever you need me."

"You already are. We both know that you had to leave. Sure not getting in touch with you sucked, but it's not like you didn't have your reasons."

Mr. Donia attempted to say something else but was quickly silenced when the young man beside him pulled him into a comforting hug.

"It's perfectly fine, we're good."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

The touching moment the pair shared is broken quickly when a certain red-head tackles Eli to the floor also pushing Mr. Donia to the side just a bit.

"Aurum!"

"You were taking forever to get back. And I'm hungry."

Struggling to sit up with the overgrown toddler, literally, clinging to him. He sighed and glanced at his mentor beside him attempting to convey the smallest of apologies.

"I don't believe we've officially met." The buttery-smooth voice made Aurum point his golden eyes in that direction.

"I know you."

"You do?"

Well that would make introduction easier. He thought to himself, a bit grateful for the easy interaction.

"Yea, you're the one who wiped Pa's memories." The nonchalant expression worn by Aurum was reflected in the tone of his voice which caused Eli to choke and Mr. Donia's eyes to widen in surprise.

"Excuse him." Eli said lightly tugging on his ear making the dragon hiss and pout. "As I said before, no social cues."

"Hey! I know social cues."

"That's my cue." Mr. Donia said as he dusted his pants lightly from the grass that stuck to him from sitting on the field.

"What you're leaving already?"

"No, I just wanted to use that pun." Eli deadpanned and Aurum grimaced, while not completely understanding social cues he did know when a joke sucked.

"But now that you mention it I probably should get going. First day of work tomorrow, I'm basically the new teacher now."

Eli tried to hide his disappoint but both persons standing next to him knew him well enough to see through his mask, it may as well had been made of glass.

"We'll have plenty more time to catch up. Plus I get the feeling your husband might be needing you soon."

With that the man disappeared leaving Eli standing there mouth agape and Aurum laughing his ass off smacking his leg.

"He got you good, I like him."

"Yea... me too."

Eli was glad Aurum liked his mentor, but why did he feel... uneasy?

***

"So it's final?" Javier asked as he ran his fingers through Eli's curls who was face down in his lap on the couch.

"Yea, I heard it's her final procedure now."

"I'm happy for them. It's been a while since we've seen the two of them as well."

"Not long enough." The man mumbled as he rolled his eyes.

"Elijah." Javier rubbed his eyes, exasperated with his husband's antics.

"Javier."

"How do you still have a grudge against Leo?" Javier was quiet puzzled. The two didn't even interact that much, so why would they still hate each other?

Why do I even care? Javier thought. Right then he decided to let the two fued as long as they wanted to.

"I do not have a grudge. I just choose to not be around him."

"Sounds like a grudge to me." The side-eye Eli gave his husband made him raise his hands in defeat. "It's almost time for finals."

"I know. Just two weeks away and we'll be done with school and I still have no idea what to do after."

"You can work with me? On the council."

"I don't think that suits me. From what I've seen of your meetings with Edgar, way too restricting."

"You've never been awake for one of those meetings."

"Exactly." He pressed a small kiss to his husband's face and got up from the couch. "I'll find something soon, something not so boring."

"Boring? That's not a word I'd use to describe my job." The innuendo didn't miss Eli at all and the younger man smirked.

"Then show me just how exciting your job can be."

Without missing a beat Javier followed him into the bathroom, the door closing with a resounding click, leaving Aurum the only person in the apartment with free reign right now.

The young dragon took that moment to go to bed with music blasting in his room. He had no interest in hearing his dads go at it like wild animals.

He had someone else he'd much rather hear from in this moment.

"Aurum." Tact had been hoping to speak with Aurum one on one soon. He had no direct connection to the dragon and Eli wouldn't be of much use to him in this moment.

"Dad."

"How did you know I wanted to see you alone?"

"I didn't." Aurum was mildly confused. He had only visited Tact alone due to sheer coincidence. But why did he want to speak to him alone?

"Well it doesn't matter. We have a problem."

"What's wrong? Is it the Fidem? Are they coming now?" A chill ran down the young teen's back as he remember what happened the last encounter he had with the Fidem.

"He's already here, and I need you to deal with him." Tact rested a hand on the taller boy's shoulder as he stared into his frightened golden eyes.

"How do you know? Who's he?" Aurum had a lot more questions but the main was why Eli couldn't be privy to this information. Especially when they might go after him.

"The new teacher. I need you to kill him."

And just like that it clicked. Tact wanted him to kill Mr. Donia. That's why Eli Tact wanted to speak to Aurum alone. He didn't seem to Aurum like a bad person, not from Eli's memories or their earlier interaction. But he was working with the Fidem and that's all Aurum needed to accept this task from his father.