Chapter 12- Betrayal

"You fucked my wife!" David said seething as he rose from the bed, disregarding the way his body protested the action.

"To be fair, she wasn't your wife yet."

"You knew I loved her! You were my best friend!" Alaric didn't respond, only avoiding eye contact with the man that was far too close for his liking, or was it that is was exactly to his liking. "I trusted you, even when no one else did and you stabbed me in the back."

"Maybe you shouldn't have." Alaric tried to hold it back but the dry laugh escaped him.

David quickly had him pressed against the wall, his hand clenched around his throat and Alaric hated that he couldn't help but admire how beautiful the man was.

His silky black hair was messy but still perfect and his emerald eyes held a scorching hatred that hurt him more than he would admit.

"You're right, Stiaran." Alaric's eyes flared and he sent a blast of magicules that sent David flying back to the wall. The bed was blown away by the force of the blast and David's back had undoubtedly left a few cracks in the wall.

Alaric clenched and unclenched his hands, trying to hold back his rage. He didn't want to hurt David but he knew, he fucking knew not to even mention it.

David rose from the broken bed and let his magicules flow to his finger tips. "Was it something I said?" He asked as he conjured two portals in the room, bringing out two spriggans.

"David." Alaric warned, hesitant, but also creating two portals of his own, nothing came out of them however, nothing that David could see. "I don't want to hurt you."

"I can't say the same." The spriggans both leapt towards Alaric but in an instant they both began disappearing, holes in center of their chests. "Wha-"

A hand clasped his mouth before he could finish his question and he then just realized the black sludge trail coming from Alaric's portal.

"Pin him, but let him speak." The moist black hand slipped from Mr. Donia's mouth and entrapped him against its frame.

"Alaric, tell me you didn't." Mr. Donia said looking frantically around, trying to spot the creature that held him. He knew what it was but he refused to believe it.

"I know what you're thinking, and yes. They are Eskai." Mr. Donia's eyes widened with disbelief. The couldn't be possible. That would suggest that Alaric was...

"What did you do?" He barely managed to whisper out, his mind still in disbelief.

To make a contract with the Eskai, it was almost unheard of nowadays. The shadow demons were not only hard to tame but to summon and form a contract with them, one would need powerful magic, powerful dark magic.

"What did you do Alaric!?" Alaric avoided eye contact with David. He didn't want him to look at him like that. "What did it cost?"

Silence.

"What the fuck did it cost!?"

"Part of my soul."

"By the gods, Alaric you-" A loud explosion sounded and startled David who was still struggling against the shadow behind him.

"It's starting."

"What's starting? Alaric? Alaric what are you doing?"

"I'm sorry. But I will protect you atleast."

"Protect me? Alaric are you mad? What the hell-"

"General." The armored man called out walking into the room. David's eyes widened. He recognized that symbol, it was the very one that the woman, Morgana from the Fidem wore.

"Yes?"

"The boy and the dragon escaped, and we lost the prince." The man said, his black eyes watching David from behind his mask. David listened intently, the boy and dragon he deduced was most likely Eli and Aurum, they were safe for now.

David could see the way how tensed Alaric looked and he could practically feel the anger radiating from the man. He ran a hand through his raven black hair before sighing, running his hand over his face before pinning David with his mismatched eyes.

"Find them. Don't fail me." The man bowed a bit before leaving the infirmary.

"You're with them. You betrayed us. You betrayed me. Again." David said as he prepared himself. He'd only have one chance at this. He held his head downwards, feigning sadness, his hair falling over his face.

"Not you, never you." Alaric exclaimed, before taking the man's cheek in his palm. "These people betrayed me long before I them, and you know it."

Alaric felt the tear before he saw it and it pained him so much. He hadn't realized how close his lips had gotten to David's, or how much he had lowered his guard.

Swiftly David flung his head forward on Alaric's nose and he almost smirked when he heard a resounding crack.

Alaric clutched at the wound, glaring at David who watched him with hateful eyes. "David. Don't."

A portal large enough to cover the room opened up on the floor, making them all fall through it. David felt the Eskai release him, most likely to save its master.

The portal reopened in the sky, David falling straight towards the floor above the town. He could see that the boarding apartments at the school was set completely ablaze and he felt the worry he had hidden from Alaric double.

They were here and they wanted Aurum, Eli and the Prince? Prince? Who the hell was that?

He opened another portal quickly and fell through, landing safely at the wards' station on the island. They needed to handle this quickly.

***

"They're trying to take over the school." Aurum whispered, pulling down the black cloaking further his head as he looked away from the barrier that enclosed the entire school.

"Shit. We need to get to Zeke and then get the hell out of here. We can't let them get him and I can't let them get you." Eli said peering up at Aurum's gold eyes with his black ones from under his cloak.

"They want you too." Aurum said frowning. "I won't let them take you either." His hand finding Eli's from which he received a gentle squeeze.

"I'd like to go in alone but I know you would just follow behind me. So keep your head low and follow me."

The school Gates were wide open, it would've been inviting if it weren't for the three guards standing there. The barrier didn't look too strong, Eli knew he could easily go through it.

Where the hell are the teachers?

They moved from behind the building alley, towards the eastern side of the school wall. It was getting later and the sun casted a shadow on the wall where they stuck to.

"Here." Eli felt like this was far enough. Hopefully they wouldn't be guarding every inch of the place.

He coated his hands in his magic and attempted to tear the barrier open, but to his surprise he could slip right through it. He tried to slip back through the barrier but felt it repelling him.

One-way only... Most definitely a trap.

He walked to the wall and put his foot to the brick wall and pushed himself up slowly, until he was able to peak over the top of the wall.

He spotted two members of the Fidem with their backs to him, resting against a tree.

Swiftly he threw himself over the wall, keeping his cloak over his face as the guards turned around but it was too late. He used the shadows from the trees to quickly impale them both and threw them to wall, his eyes switching from a shocking blue to a endless black.

It's safe. Eli linked to Aurum.

Aurum climbed over instantly and started checking his father for injuries. His gaze lingered on the two guards before he snapped them away.

"We'll check the apartment first. They should be in that area." He hoped to whatever god that they were.