11 | family

Days went by and Cora couldn't stop thinking about what Professor Snape said about her mother. Cora could barely remember her, or her dad. She had some memories of the night they died — her screams, a bright green light and a man, but it was all a blur.

Days turned into a couple of weeks and Cora wasn't able to find the time to speak to her Head of House. Most of the times she asked him, he was busy and the rest of the time Cora spent in classes, assignments, her friends and reading in the library. She didn't even know if Professor Snape was telling the truth, but she was very curious to hear what he had to say.

It was mid November when Cora finally received a letter from Professor Snape which instructed to meet in his office. Their talk consisted mostly on Cora asking questions about her parents and Snape answering. She noticed that he avoided talking about her father or simply said some not very friendly things about him. She understood he didn't like him— hated him even.

The description Snape gave Cora about her mother, on the other hand— it was amazing. He described Lily Evans as a beautiful woman, with thick dark red hair and bright green eyes filled with kindness. He said she was vivacious, talented, witty, charming and very smart, with strong morals that she stood by no matter what it cost her. Snape also mentioned that Lily had quite a sharp tongue when she was in a temper, not afraid to stand up to others, but that she also gave second chances when people proved they were worthy of it.

Cora couldn't describe her joy when Snape said how she reminded him of her mother because of her being smart, witty, talented and charming, but not much on the kindness. Cora thanked Professor Snape and went straight to find Harry, excited to tell him all she had learned about their mother.

"Harry!", Cora exclaimed as she rushed to him. He was sitting in the Great Hall with Ron and Hermione. "Can we talk alone? I have so much to tell you!"

He agreed and followed her out to a bench in one of the corridors next to the Great Hall. When they sat down, Cora couldn't hold her excitement anymore.

"Professor Snape knew our mom", Cora said excited.

"Snape?", asked Harry. "How do you know?"

"He told me", Cora said. "He said they were in the same year here at Hogwarts and he said she was amazing and that—", Cora stopped herself. Instead of Harry being interested or excited, she noticed that he had a big frown on his face.

"What is it?", she asked him.

"Cora, Snape is lying. He is probably manipulating you and all he said is a big lie", Harry said.

"Why do you say that? He might be harsh and seem cold and mean, but I doubt he would lie about something like this."

"Whatever Fluffy's guarding, Snape is trying to steal it. He also cursed my broom and tried to kill me! He is evil, Cora!"

"How are you so sure? And what would that have to do with mom?"

"You can't trust him! You can't talk to him again", Harry slightly yelled. Cora flinched a bit and furrowed her eyebrows.

"Harry, you're my brother and I love you, but you can't tell me what to do. Plus, you're being unreasonable. Think about it, why would he try to hurt you? Or steal whatever the dog's guarding?"

"I just know he is", said Harry.

"You don't have any proof! Please, Harry, forget about the dog and what it's guarding and just come with me next time I go to Professor Snape's office and listen to the stories he has about mom", pleaded Cora. She wanted him to experience this with her. She thought he would like to feel closer to their parents like she had.