Chapter 18 ~ By Candlelight

Chapter 18: By Candlelight
***

Atanas and I finally had the privacy of a bedroom after hours spent waiting to hear from the vampire’s Nadia had tracking Airell’s movements. He’d stopped at the Transylvanian border but gods knew for how long. Our next move would need to be decided then executed, and quickly.

Falling back on the bed, I let out a groan. My knees still ached from being cramped in the car, my neck hurt from staring down at laptop screens, and my ears rang from listening repeatedly to the importance of me staying far away from humans as possible for the foreseeable future. I hadn’t fed today either, and my body was still recovering from being bloody shot.

My fingers went to the still tender flesh, prodding gently against the dull ache. I’d need to find out how Titus planned on everyone feeding because my stomach had been growling all evening. If I wasn’t allowed to hunt, it would make it rather difficult. Not that I could think about asking my mate. It didn’t seem important after the reaction Atanas had to the news Airell might genuinely have a lead on Leyla’s possible resting place. He’d exploded with such vehemence, even the hardened ancients at his side had cowered.

I sat up when a floorboard near the door creaked, and cocked my head at the sight of my mate lingering in the dark.

“Atanas?"

Glowing blues moved across the floor before focussing on something near my feet. “I didn’t mean to frighten you earlier.”

“What?”

Stepping into the flickering candle light, he motioned towards the door. “You’ve been quiet ever since I lost my temper in the hall.”

That’s what he was worried about?

“You’ve done worse than bash a table in front of me,” I teased, but it didn’t get rid of the crease between his brow. In fact the lines around his eyes and mouth only deepened. My sarcasm wasn’t what he needed right now.

Brushing away the craving to close my eyes and rest, I gave him my full attention. His eyes never met mine, staring past my shoulder as his hands clenched and unclenched by his side.

“If it was anger that made you lash out, I might be upset with you right now. But it wasn’t. Something is worrying you, scaring you even. Don’t look at me like that, Atanas.” Jutting my chin out, I stared down his glare before he could utter a denial. Of course questioning his bravery would be the thing that got him to finally meet my gaze “Don’t tell me you’re afraid of myths about ghoulies lurking in some caves that humans have probably searched every inch of and found nothing?”

“This very fort is proof humans can search and not see what is right in front of them,” he said lowly.

“I’ve never caught sight of or heard substantial rumours about demons or gollums or uilebheistean,” I countered, searching his expression when my words made his back straighten. “And I promise you, I can see perfectly fine.”

He stared at me for a moment longer, eyes glazed over as he debated something with himself before he crept a little closer. Full lips drew up onto a seductive smile as midnight eyes raked up the length of me.

“I know what I’d like to see right now.”

Oh, I knew this game.