Chapter 8 ~ Swordplay

Chapter 8: Swordplay
~

I flicked through the news channels almost in a trance, searching for any and all coverage of the attacks in Rome. There didn't seem to be any other city or country having the same problem but I had the feeling it was only a matter of time.

The iPad on my lap had a dozen open tabs as I searched for any mention of it being vampire or otherworldly. Nobody seemed to be heading towards believing it was no human behind it yet but the attacker wasn't exactly hiding the fact.

"You need to sleep, Shylah," Atanas mumbled from the bed.

I hummed in answer, flicking the TV off and the room went dark. I'd done all I could for now. There was nothing new and Kincaid had shown me how to set up notifications for any news alerts. I set the iPad on the table and rubbed my stinging eyes before wiggling cramped fingers. How humans spent so much time on these devices I'd never understand.

Unable to help myself, I switched the iPad back on, making sure I hadn't missed anything in the seconds it had been off.

Atanas sighed and I heard the sheets rustle as he moved. "Shylah. Sleep."

While I did feel tired, sleep didn't feel like something that would come easy tonight. Working until I passed out seemed better than tossing and turning in bed and keeping my mate awake. He needed his rest more than I did.

"It's been two weeks, Atanas. Two weeks and Padraig hasn't found anything, two weeks and another four bodies left for us. A human is going to see something before we do and that won't end well for us," I said wearily.

Pushing myself to my feet, I cringed when I caught sight of myself in the mirror. Dark bags circled my eyes, my brow was creased with ever present worry and my hair was slick with grease. I needed a shower, proper sleep and to feed but who had the time or will with everything going on?

Atanas slid from the bed and walked towards me but I turned my face away from him. I didn't want him to see me like this. He'd been so busy lately and this had been the first time we'd been alone together for what felt like weeks. We'd hunted together a few nights ago but it had been short and he'd went to bed straight after. He hadn't had the chance to see the mess I'd become.

"I know you don't agree with the decision to send Anna with Padraig, or any of the ones I've made in the last few weeks," Atanas murmured, his hands gripping my hips to turn me to face him. "I'm sorry I haven't been around as much when you've needed me too."

I sighed, resting my forehead against his chest, soaking in the feel of him. "You're doing what you have to do, making the tough decisions. I understand."

His fingers sunk into my hair, tugging so I was forced to look up at him. There was no disgust in his eyes as his gaze searched my face. "You trust me don't you?"

"Always," I breathed out, my fingers curling into his shirt. "It's Airell I don't trust."

"It's a good thing you don't need to trust Airell then," Atanas teased, leaning in to kiss me.

I kissed him back but couldn't find the same laughter in what he said. Of course we had to trust Airell to some extent. We had to trust that we knew what he was doing, we had to trust that he'd let Gideon and Erik in amongst his people, we had to trust we understood him enough to know why he was targeting Rome.

I was brought out of my thoughts by Atanas poking my forehead. "You think too much."

I snorted. "Well, nobody has every accused me of that before."