Chapter 11 ~ When in Rome

Chapter 11: When in Rome
~

Already the sweltering heat of Rome was making me uncomfortable. How could it possibly be this warm this late at night? Peering out the window of the taxi, I noted how empty the streets were. No tourists, nobody walking to or from clubs or parties and restaurants were dimly lit with few occupants. Rome was hiding in fear. The few humans that did walk the streets were swift, their eyes wide and alert, and nobody walked alone.

"It's like a ghost town," I muttered quietly, catching Atanas' gaze.

He nodded, his eyes flicking to our driver. "I've never seen it so quiet before."

"The nightlife has definitely quietened down since the killings started. It's driven my business into the ground," the driver added, his Italian accent heavy. "Hopefully the cult will be caught soon."

"A cult?" I asked, leaning forward in curiosity.

The driver nodded, the car slowing down as he took a left turn. "Nothing official has been said but that's the rumours. The victims always have blood missing. My cousin is married to a police officer and she said that the offender's must be keeping it for something. That seems like a cult to me."

My lips twitched slightly in amusement. A cult, I chuckled, not too far off. Atanas didn't look like he found it funny, his expression was even colder than normal, his hands fisting on his lap. I frowned and reached out to stroke my fingers over the back of his hand.

"This was where I considered home for a time," Atanas told me, keeping his gaze straight ahead. "Now it's being terrorised."

It didn't surprise me this was where had been hit. If it was indeed orchestrated by Airell he'd have chosen the city very carefully, knowing it would hit his maker hard. A cold feeling washed over me. Did Airell know that striking Atanas' one time home would bring him here?

The thought drifted from my head as the driver announced we'd arrived. I peered through the window and smirked at the sign the proclaimed the building the 'Sunrise Hotel'. Atanas paid the driver as I stepped out to get our bags from the boot.

I could smell the scent of humans heavy in the air. Swinging the bag of weapons over my shoulder and picking up my suitcase, I took a steadying breath. I wasn't used to living amongst humans and I briefly wondered if it was a good idea but there was nothing that could be done now.

Atanas stepped up beside me to get his own suitcase before reaching out for my hand. I was excited to see Anna and practically dragged Atanas inside the hotel.

We were met at the reception by a young man dressed in the hotel uniform who smiled brightly at us as we approached. I was busy taking everything in while Atanas got our room key. The patio outside one of the large windows was filled with beautiful red flowers and intricately designed iron chairs and tables.

My first taste of Rome, I mused, smiling a little. But I had to remind myself that this was no holiday we were on. Sighing a little, I let Atanas lead me towards the stairs. I could feel the man watching us as we began the ascent up.

"We should check in on Anna and Padraig first," Atanas murmured to himself, checking the numbers on the doors.

He didn't bother to knock on their door, simply swung it open and stepped inside. Kincaid had obviously not spared on money. The room was much like my old flat had been with a small kitchen at the back. I set down the bags and then jumped when a door at the other end of the room swung open.