Chapter 7 ~ A Summer Holiday

Chapter 7: A Summer Holiday
~

"Erik sent word that they've made contact with someone close to Airell. It turns out Airell has sent out word to recruit vampires as well. Erik doesn't think they suspect anything, they're being brought him. By tomorrow, they should be there so he says we might not hear from them for a few days. They'll send word again as soon as they can, hopefully about what Airell's plans are," Atanas said, standing at the head of our small council.

Most of the visiting vampires had gone back home after pledging themselves to us but Nadia had decided to stay until Erik returned. She stared at the table, letting us talk and not seeming to really hear. Her mate had gone back with her people and I'd heard them fighting about that the night before.

Thierry drummed his fingers along the table, signature bored look in place. "Let's hope they're up to the task."

Nadia glared at him but he didn't seem to notice. Asshole. He may not have cared about Gideon's fate but I did and for Nadia's sake, I cared about Erik too.

"Of course they're up for the task," I snapped. "Gideon only needs to get a sense of the thoughts around, and from, Airell. It shouldn't take him long to get the information he needs and for him and Erik to come safely back home."

Thierry merely shrugged and I suddenly wished Elaine was here. He always seemed to behave just a little better with the Celtic warrior vampire to keep him in line. I still wasn't exactly sure what they're relationship was.

"I've got vampires throughout Britain picking up rogues that are willing to stand by you and picking off any loyal to Airell, my King. We'll start training in the hall soon and work out a schedule. We all need to be ready for anything," Kincaid added from where he stood sentry beside me.

Battle strategies, defence plans, escape plans, something told me all of it would be useless. Elaine and Thierry had been helping Kincaid gather weapons and they discussed how best to train our would be soldiers. Padraig was Atanas' confidant. Erik and Gideon had left as our spies. Principes had offered their support. Everyone was doing something except me.

Una hadn't recovered from the scolding she got from Atanas, and Zena was too filled with guilt for what she'd done to me to face me. She'd sent her mate Lachlan to apologise but even when I told him all was forgiven, she still wouldn't come. Not that either of them would know what to do with me. My magic was different and I understood now that neither witch knew exactly what to make of it. I needed someone who knew and understood where my power came from to truly wield it.

My nails dug into the wooden table as frustration bubbled up. I needed Leyla. I snorted.

"What?"

Blinking, I straightened up and blushed to see the council was watching me. Atanas was looking at me with that same exasperated expression he got when I gave a snarky response to something serious, even as he fought not to smile.

I coughed, refocussing my thoughts. "Sorry. I got distracted."

I'd been doing that a lot lately. I was unable to keep track of my own thoughts that seemed to skip from one thing to another. I was still getting used to the power I could feel flowing through my veins and the way it reacted when I was near certain people. It grew strong in the presence of witches, like a vibration under my skin.

"You haven't fed in a while, my Queen. You should go out tonight while things are calm," Kincaid suggested quietly.

Had that been what we were discussing now? Who would hunt and when? With so many vampires now in one place, we had to be careful with how often we hunted. I nodded. Kincaid was right, it was a good idea. A chance to stretch my legs, run, hunt and forget all about the war that threatened us all. Before I could turn to leave, the door burst open and Una came barging in. Her green eyes were wide and wild as she panted, waving her hand towards the door.