Chapter 9 ~ Heads Will Roll

Chapter 9: Heads Will Roll
~

Silver light shimmered over my skin and the candle Una held flickered briefly before the flame died out. I let out a whoosh of air, my body slumping. It had taken all my energy to manage even that small flame and Una sighed. Tonight hadn't been going as well as either of us had hoped. 

"Well. . .that was something," she said, leaning forward in the armchair.

I could only glare at the candle, my hands fisting in frustration. Yesterday I'd managed easily but after my strange dream last night, my focus was skewed. Una had wanted to move onto something else but I'd halted our progress. 

"Try again," Una demanded, clasping the candle between her hands.

I gave her a pleading look. "I'm tired-"

"Again, Shylah," she repeated firmly. "We won't stop until you do it."

Running a hand through my hair, I closed my eyes briefly. The bond between mates is easier to break than the bond between vampire and maker. My eyes flew open but there was nobody standing next to me despite feeling the breath of those whispered words on my skin. I looked at Una but she was simply watching me expectantly.

Gods that dream had really fucked me up today.

I gave myself a shake and focused my attention once more on the candle. Tugging on the thrum of magic inside me, I imagined the flicker of a flame in my mind's eye, the heat of fire against my skin, the colours, the way it moved. Letting out a slow breath, I forced my magic out towards the candle again and this time it flickered and held its flame. I couldn't muster the same joy I had yesterday when I'd finally managed it. Una gave me a half smile but I could see that she too was distracted today. 

Last night had been rough for all of us when Padraig called to tell Atanas that another body had been found before even the news channels broadcasted it. A child, so torn and bloodied that he hadn't known whether it was a little girl or boy. I'd burned hot with rage, unable to contain it as it flurried out in a wave of power that rattled the windows. Even the uncaring Thierry looked like he was struggling to hold it together as he held a sobbing Elaine. It seemed to have hit her worse than the rest of us and I wondered if she'd been a mother before she was turned. 

"You're less snarky than you usually are," Una jibed but I could only manage a small smile. 

"I've got a lot on my mind," I answered. 

She laughed, flicking long, black hair over her shoulder. "That's never stopped you before." 

That much was true. As a mater of fact, my sarcasm usually came out more when I was feeling stressed. Una blew out the candle and set it on the coffee table before clapping her hands together. "Right. Now you've got a little control, we can try something else-"

A piercing scream cut her off. The sound was so full of grief and horror that the hair on my neck stood on end, my skin prickling as if someone had poured an icy bucket of water over me. I stood at the same time Una did, both of us racing for the door as the commotion from downstairs got louder. Screaming, yelling, someone sobbing. Panic grew until my stomach was twisting and rolling and I shoved my way past those who had also come to see what was going on. 

I spotted Atanas near the front door and his gaze caught mine when I reached the bottom step. The look in his eyes filled me with dread. 

"Move!" I snapped, growing frustrated with elbowing my way to the front. My voice carried far and a path quickly cleared for me.

Everything seemed to go in slow motion as I reached Atanas' side. He grabbed my arm, saying something that didn't quite reach through the white noise deafening me. I tugged my arm free of him, my gaze settling on Nadia. She was kneeling on the front step outside, her cries harsh and raw. Zena was trying to tug her back inside but she hissed in fury, her fangs warning her off. It was Kincaid who braved her anger and managed to drag her back inside.