Chapter 16 ~ I Fought The Law

A little distracted with everything going on Scotland right now so sorry if this isn't the best. The country is now on lockdown because of the virus.

Please everyone, stay home as much as possible, wash your hands, and make sure vulnerable friends and family are okay.

These are going to be hard times for people. Especially those suffering from mental health problems so be kind.

Chapter 16: I Fought The Law
~

Sat cross legged on the floor, I leaned back against the armchair. Anna unfolded a world map on the table, smoothing out the creases while Atanas watched on from behind me, standing sentry. I swallowed nervously as I lit the candles as instructed. I knew now why Anna had seemed a little. . .sad. This was her life, magic, and I was reminding her that she could no longer do what I was about to. Or at least what I was about to attempt. I'd never done more than manage to light a candle with Una.

Anna demanded that we be left alone so I could concentrate but Atanas had refused. I think watching me get shot had triggered protective instincts. I didn't mind that he was in the room though, his presence was actually a comfort. I was more worried about failing in front of Anna. Would I be able to do this? I didn't think so. And failure would weigh heavy on my shoulders.

With everything set out, Anna nodded toward my dagger. "Normally I'd use water but you share blood with Airell; it'll help narrow our search. Drop your blood onto the map."

I eyed the blade warily but sucked it up. Opening my palm, I quickly sliced down and blood immediately began to drop onto my lap. Shifting forward, I did as she guided, and fisted my hand so blood dropped onto the map. The sting was easy to ignore and Atanas inhaled deeply. I rolled my eyes at him as he winked.

The wound healed quickly, only a few drops beading together over Italy on the map. I sat back again, wondering if it was enough and Anna gave me a nod. This wasn't so bad.

"Let your magic out, feel it inside you, in the air around you, draw strength from the flames and us." She shifted on her knees, closing her eyes as if she herself was doing the spell. "Then repeat after me."

I copied her position and closed my eyes. Hands resting on the table, I took deep, steadying breaths. On every exhale, I tugged at the magic that was tucked away inside. Even behind closed lids, everything brightened as my skin took on its eerie silver glow. Energy thrummed in the room, a soft buzzing by my ears as I breathed out again.

The words she had me repeat were foreign to my ears but I did my best to pronounce them as she did. The buzzing sound got louder, the hair at the nape of my neck standing up. As I spoke the last word, a current of electricity seemed to flow out of me. My eyes flicked open and Anna gasped, staring wide eyed. I knew why. My reflection stared back at me in the mirror on the wall behind her. Eyes that were always a strange steely silver colour now glowed as brightly as my hands. I didn't look like me. The being in the mirror looked powerful, ethereal. Even Atanas stepped away from the wall as if drawn to me.

Movement had me looking down and I watched on fascination as the blood on the map drew together. I'd never seen anything like it as it slowly began to move, leaving a ghastly trail of red behind it. We all watched it move, the buzzing sound becoming more like sparks.

When it stopped, a cold breath blew all the candles blew out, leaving us in the dark. Grey wisps of smoke swirled around us as we stared at the spot the blood had stopped. I was exhausted, slumping forward. I'd never used magic like that before. I couldn't believe it worked. . .if it had indeed worked.