❦ perfect

signs

they explain it to me

there's no joy I can take

with knowing what's waiting

here for now

but not for long

where do my mind slip away?

explain that to me

❧ alabama shakes, "over my head"

Sunkanmi first noticed the stillness when she awoke in the slaver's cart

[They camped for the night.]

A pair of knowing eyes caressed her back and she rolled onto her side to satisfy them.

"Good evening, Sunshine," Xosa yawned as if they were lounging on a tropical beach, fruity drink in hand. "Nice of you to join us."

Sunkanmi pushed onto her elbows and grimaced. "Why didn't you wake me earlier?"

"You looked so peaceful glaring in your sleep, I couldn't bear to disturb you." Xosa tossed over a loaf of mealie bread and she caught it mid-air. "They shoved this through the bars a few hours ago. Figured I'd keep it warm for you."

She took a monstrous bite. It was the best bread she'd ever eaten. Her stomach gave a little cheer, flooding her muscles with strength and energy.

Sunkanmi hated speaking with her mouth full, but this was dire. "Did they leave enough for you, too?"

"Don't worry, I already choked mine down with some water. Stagnant and tepid, of course. But at least it was lukewarm." Xosa waved her off, not sure why he lied so readily.

Was it wise of him to give Sunkanmi the whole loaf, possibly their only food until they reached the slave market?

(no. then again, i'm not exactly known for my good judgment.)

Did Xosa feel bad about it?

(the jury's still out on that one.)

"I have an idea. On how to bust us out of here." While Sunknami feasted on the two-week-old bread, Xosa listened for any suspicious movement outside their cage. Hearing none, he turned over his shoulder with a low voice. "But it'll take some cooperation and a fair amount of luck."

"Let's hear it." Sunkanmi wiped the crumbs from her mouth. "I'm positively vibrating with anticipation."

"Just you wait." Blue moonlight reflected off Xosa's sawed-off horns like crooked smiles. "You'll absolutely love this."

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves here."

Taking his sweet time, Xosa clasped his hands in prayer. He chanted in God's Tongue, a language unknowable to mere mortals, and traced circles on his palms. Steam rose from his forehead like a giant oven. Sunkanmi watched his magic spell unfold with utter bemusement.