❦ priorities

ten times more than the sweetest sound

wouldn't want to change if it brings me down

every seven years this song expires

driven by your fear and a sweep of fire

❧ little dragon, "seconds"

Eventually came the question of what to do next

Before they could properly acknowledge the twin flames roaring behind their ribs, Sunkanmi and Xosa had to first answer the hunger thrashing in their stomachs. The emptiness gnawing on their insides. For once, their priorities were perfectly aligned, because Survival trumped Feelings any day, and today was no different.

"There." Sunkanmi's grimy finger poked their stolen map as she coped with their present circumstances. She adjusted her tunic with her other hand, the once clean cotton now a dingy second skin wet with sweat, rainwater, and rage. The darkness pressed down her skull and whispered: we'llgetyou, we'llfindyou, don'tstop, justwait, we'llcatchyou. "Let's stop there."

"And where," Xosa dubiously peered over her shoulder. Stinking of rot. "Is there?"

"Little Stelia. Prosperous mining town a few hours west of here."

"Ah, yes. Little Stelia," Xosa tilted her head, the picture of a cunning minx. "And I suppose the townsfolk will cheer us on as the Empress of Destruction and a sexy, tattooed goat woman, who looks nothing like Loveschild by the way, slink through their front gates? What happened to Suraad?"

Sunkanmi's left eyelid twitched. "In case you hadn't noticed, we are befouled, dehydrated, and out of food. Night is falling again, and I don't have the strength to protect both of us. We'll die out here if we don't find a town to refresh ourselves for a day or two. We're further away from Suraad than we were before Naviin captured us, so Little Stelia is our only option."

Still hunting for Good Words after their narrow escape, Xosa watched the sun, heavy and round, bleed into the sky.

(i never noticed...)

World-weary clouds sank into the treetops, pregnant with orange and purple undertones.

Xosa raised her delicate hands and smiled as the dying light pierced the hollow pie-slices between her fingers. Warmth settled into her palm and caressed her skin, far more sensitive than when she first fell to earth.

(what changed?)

"Hello?" Still perched before her precious map, Sunkanmi boiled hot with impatience. "Do you disagree?"

(how...)

Xosa framed the simmering Commander in the space between her ring and middle fingers, grin widening as the colors cast Sunkanmi in blushing light and withering blue shadow. A furious oil painting brought to life.