Chapter 4: Light Novels

Sara breathed out a sigh of relief after a long process of returning stolen goods. She settled and sorted each stolen wares back to their respective owners and ordered several soldiers to round up the ronins to bring them into custody. Even she found it exhausting to tend to matters such as these in broad daylight after a tedious journey and fighting bandits.

Sara also couldn't be put in ease due to Aether remaining at her side regardless. She felt guilty inviting him out to the city, only to involve the Traveler in more work. It was taking far too long to resolve these affairs.
Sara was deep in thought as she laid her arms on the long beige Yumemiru desk.

And now, her latest problem had arrived. Her gaze finally focused at the three merchants who felt unsatisfied, standing before her in a haughty manner. Sara signalled to Aether that things will become tense. He had an uneasy look displayed clearly on his face prompting Sara to tell him not to worry.

The victim merchants lashed out unexpectedly after retrieving their once-lost items,

"If the Tenryou Commission had set up more guards near the roads, this would have never happened!" One of the merchants complained with an exaggerated tone, not showing an ounce of gratitude.
"Truly unreliable, ah.. I've lost all faith in them."

Aether inwardly made a sigh, staring judgmentally at the mocking merchant. His beady eyes were sneering at Sara, making it easy to pinpoint his goal.

"Recompense. A lot of our clients will be unsatisfied by how late our goods are arriving at. If you repay us as an apology, we'll keep silent about this incident and bring the Tenryou Commission's image up!" He wagged his large frame of a body loosely, engrossed in the idea that he has the Tenryou Commission by the ropes. It was a repulsive sight for the two

While he brought up a worthy point, Tenryou Commission guards would often offer to guide them if they were unfamiliar with the route they took. Most merchants declined them in order to hasten their journey and believed in their hired guards' skill instead of the Tenryou Commission.

The merchant completely forgot his place when speaking to a general. It was tragic that Sara's goodwill in returning stolen goods led to an event such as this.

Though the two other merchants stayed silent, the fact they had not left yet shows they were in avid agreement. They were both backing the man, standing behind him to support him and heighten his message.

"So be it, the fact remains that it is the Tenryou Commission's fault for not keeping strict security. We'll enforce our watch on the land and hand you some compensation," Sara relented to the merchants' complaints, waving her hand to dismiss any further comment.

Though undetectable Aether managed to guess Sara was furious inside. Her strict eyes were cold, lacking any readable emotion which was a bad sign. Aether almost felt bad for the merchants seeking for opportunity in this incident... because they were going to experience a general's wrath.

"However. If it is as you say that the Tenryou Commission is unreliable, I believe you won't be needing our services if danger ever falls upon you." Kujou Sara had a hidden threat within that statement. The two merchants hastily walked away to avoid the same fate as the beady-eyed man.

'In other words, they'll be blacklisted from protection...' Aether thought, trying to hide laughter from sprouting out of him.

"...Don't be like that!" The man joyfully said, blissfully unaware of Sara's implications. "I hope for an amicable relationship with the Tenryou Commission. I'm a popular merchant so I'll be counting on you, particularly if I'm ever in troubl-"

Kujou Sara had enough of the man, loudly slamming a pouch of Mora onto the desk which shut him up. The man instantly took it with a simple 'Thank you!', skipping away.