Chapter 7: Invitation

"You seem proud of your purchase..."

Aether jokingly remarked to the bob-cut-haired woman who was tightly clinging onto the...five purchased kimonos, bringing it near her chest. Ogura made a wide smile at Sara's purchase, bowing in thanks. It was a win for her financially and if the general herself ever wears the kimono... business would be booming for her.

"Yes, though I'm unsure when should I ever use this kimono. I rarely partake in festivities myself after all." Sara replied as she lowered the folded kimonos carrying a bitter smile. "I'm someone in charge of security rather than joining them."

"Oh..." Aether weakly replied. He was at a loss of words when it came to comforting someone, secretly hoping his companion, Paimon would suddenly appear. She always knew what to say after all, often hogging the conversation which Aether usually didn't mind. Unfortunately, she fell into temptation and joined Itto in a ramen eating competition, making the two split off rather early in the morning.

"Ah. Pay no heed to my previous words, it's my duty to ensure everything goes well." Sara said almost immediately to him, trying to reassure him. She found herself unusually talkative, she paused to ponder something about herself.

'Was I acting like this the whole time?' It was strange now that she began to think of it, she kept interactions with others to the bare minimum, and yet... Here she was, taking comfort in the company of someone else. 'Am I... growing weak by associating more with him?'

It felt unfamiliar for Sara to actually have a conversation partner and to worry about someone other than her soldiers. It was surreal yet she felt at ease more than ever before, discussing a casual topic rather than strategies or training. She thought this feeling of comfort was a sign of weakness. But deep inside, she knew this was something else. Maybe, just maybe, this was secretly what she wanted the whole time.

The traveler took a glance upward only to find Sara making an unknowing scowl, thinking heavily about something. She was standing unnaturally still, her eyes staring off into space. Aether noticed that Sara herself was unaware of the intense expression she bore at the moment. He wondered what could possibly occupy her mind to that point, before rethinking her previous words.

Something clicked within Aether as if everything finally connected. He came up with a grand idea. Yes, this was an opportunity for him, to say the least. The general was unguarded and would never anticipate an offensive carried out by the master of outings, Aether!

"If you don't mind..." The master began speaking, his words snapping Sara out of her mind trance and catching her attention. "do you want to go with me to a festival someday?"

"...?!" Sara's amber eyes glistened with scary invigoration to his words, her cheeks turning into a sharp red. An honest and innocent reaction Aether hadn't expected. She wanted to say something but ended up settling with a nod in response, smiling. "That idea... doesn't sound bad."

The smile of Kujou Sara was a true rarity, showcasing the hidden beauty the war-hardened general contained if committed to her femininity. 'The potential that lies within Sara's beauty, if harnessed, could move mountains, yes... How else would one describe this scene? The sun, as bright as it shone for the afternoon, was not as blinding as Sara's expression of happiness.' Were Aether's currents thoughts before blushing out of embarrassment, 'How cliche...! What am I thinking about?!'

A quiet atmosphere filled the area before Ogura let out a light cough, interrupting the two, "Ahem, are you two lovebirds finished?"

Yes, it didn't occur to the both of them that they were openly flirting in front of Ogura's store in broad daylight...

"Kuh... I let my guard down." Sara muttered to herself under her breath. The two wanted to reject Ogura's words but decided against it. Ultimately they both walked away hurriedly with flushed expressions, with Sara forcefully grabbing Aether's arm with her. Ogura made a wry smile as she waved goodbye to the duo.