Chapter 8: Ambition

Sara gently tugged Aether's arm along to follow after her and surprisingly, there was no complaint from the braided traveler. Neither of them knew what to say to each other when recalling their former conversation and Ogura's comment. It particularly affected Kujou Sara whose mind was in a blur at the moment, unable to process things as thorough as she usually did. If Aether had walked closer to Sara, there was a possibility he could've heard how fast the Tengu's heart was pounding at the moment. Embroiled in her musing, she was once again oblivious to her current actions at the moment, prompting Aether to heave out a sigh.

The people present in the street muttered lowly among themselves, spreading gossip over the puzzling sight of the two. Like wildfire, chatter became rampant about the situation. No one could believe the mystifying sight their eyes were beholding at the moment, seeing the unapproachable general with... a man of all things.

"Hey... isn't that...?"

"Yeah, thats THE General Kujou Sara... but who could possibly be that person next to her?!"

"That's the legendary traveler, how could you not know? I heard he once fought the Raiden Shogun singlehandedly..."

"Our guardian deity? And lived to tell the tale? How exaggerated..."

"Exaggerated or not, here he is... acting all romantic with Kujou Sara of all people. This proves he's at least a man of skill."

"Tsk... next thing you'll tell me is that he's getting chummy with the Shirasagi Himegimi too!"

"Haha, don't worry, I don't think that'll ever happen!"

The stone-brick pathway eventually split off when the two walked over the wooden bridge. The ambience felt even more intimate as the two walked with sakura petals decorating their walk. The giant winged statue of the Raiden Shogun could be seen in complete detail now and before the two advanced any further, Sara's eyes finally zoned onto reality after her thoughts came to a halt. Once faced with the statue of the deity she had sworn loyalty to, she became free from her contemplation. Realizing the positioning between the two and how close they were, Sara could only find it absurd on how vulnerable she was.

"...!" Her hand released Aether's arm in a hushed but quick fashion, splitting off the second she realized. The Tengu gazed away from his face, unable to hide a genuine blush from showing on her formerly known stern face. This was the first time she's ever looked away from an 'enemy', and couldn't bear to eye them any further. 

She harshly criticized herself inside for allowing themselves to get too close with a person. It was a practice of self-reproach deeply embedded within Sara due to how she was brought up by Kujou Takayuki.

Taking a deep breath, she directed her focus to the statue of the Narukami Ogosho, the embodiment of Inazuma and Omnipresent God. She strode across the planked stairs, allowing herself to get a closer look at the one thing which could calm her down. The robed Raiden Shogun statue was as awe-inspiring as ever to Kujou Sara, it's presence greatly aided in bringing her tranquility. Aether silently accompanied her.

At the same time, Sara bitterly recalled the events of the Vision Hunt Decree. Mixed emotions amalgamated within her train of thought when faced with the statue which once held stolen visions wrought through stepping over ambitions. Despite already discussing the matter with Aether, no matter what, she couldn't simply erase her past memories.

"A-aether," Her voice slightly trembled which jarred Aether. Sara noticed as well, placing her hand over her chest, wondering why her voice faltered earlier. "Sorry."

"Not at all, go ahead and take your time." The outlander considerately said, patiently awaiting her next words.

"What is your opinion of the present Inazuma as compared to when you first arrived?"