Chapter 10: Doubt

Note: The event I wrote about Sara in this chapter isn't canon and is purely fanmade.

"What about you, Sara?" Paimon shifted her eyes to the taciturn participant of the game, "You're a general, so Paimon really wants to see what you would do!"

"..." She hesitated to let out her words, especially in front of a small group of people, her social skills lacked in this regard. Sara was accustomed to giving speeches for raising morale to large platoons of soldiers when preparing for a battle...
But these three weren't soldiers, they were acquaintances at best, with the exception of Aether and Paimon. She felt unsure about how to conduct herself,

"An island without a source of food...?" Inazuma was a nation of multiple populated islands, therefore Sara assumed that Paimon most likely meant the uninhabited type, full of wild life and natural scenery.

She found herself thinking back to a similar incident, where she had fought a battle of attrition against an organization of bandits in unfamiliar territory. An island that had became a central base of Nobushi and Treasure Hoarders, yet was quite far from Narukami Island.

The bandits had made use of the restricting forest terrain to pin Sara's forces, but it only took a few hours for her to accurately gauge the bandits' numbers and the location's every detail. It still became a newfound fright for her, fearing potential enemy attacks that could come at any moment. It was only then that Sara realized the most crucial course of action in unknown land was first identifying a safe area.

Her keen sense greatly aided in scouting, alongside the division of troops in groups to gather resources quickly. She didn't particularly care about finding food, as anything would last if rationed properly.

"My first goal would simply be to find a suitable place for refuge... It's meaningless to seek food if you're unguarded and in a vulnerable location."

"Wow, a real general response." Paimon whispered, causing Itto to burst out laughing from Paimon's words.

"Is there something funny, Arataki Itto?" Sara's eyes narrowed towards the oni.
"Wha-? Oh, no, nothing at all." Itto silenced himself, afraid of facing another bout of a Tengu's rage.

"Well then, enough about me, what about you, Aether?" She quickly drifted her attention away from Itto to the smiling traveler.

"Hmm, there'd never be a situation where I'd run out of food, even if stranded in an island..." All of a sudden, the floating fairy felt a chill run up her spine. This turn of events felt familiar, and Aether had always made jokes when he could.

She wanted to stop the traveler's mouth from continuing further, however it was too late.
"After all, emergency food is always floating around me, isn't she?"

Sara and Itto stared blankly at Aether, then towards Paimon, who was fuming from anger. Realization dawned onto them of the joke he made. A smile cracked out from the two before it evolved into lively laughs.

"How predictable!" Paimon scoffed, refusing to face Aether. The outlander merely smiled even brighter, amused once more by his partner's response.

The general who gazed at this interaction felt a tinge of envy, never having a companion as close as they were together. She lowered her head and hastily tried discarding those thoughts.

Sara figured something was wrong with her today, never has she ever before questioned herself this much. Resolve was something all generals should be equipped with, slight hesitation could lead to a loss in life. Yet here she was, stuck in her own forest of thoughts, unable to find a right path. And it all revolved around a single person, the singularity of her pondering.

Just...what was this uneasy feeling called? Her heavy focus on the Traveler that stood his ground against the Shogun, fought strongly against the Vision Hunt Decree, and most of all, bested a Harbinger which she lost to, in an honorable match to the death.

Are those what interested her about the seemingly young warrior? What does she want to be to the wanderer of nations? No answer was given immediately, only the field of doubt remained.

"Aight, this was a good bit but Aether, you still owe me a round of Onikabuto fighting! We've never properly dueled each other yet, have we?!" The Leader of the Arataki gang yelled with vigor, raising his fist against the blonde. He had already grown bored of a game with only words and without physical action, seeking to alleviate it with a sacred battle of beetles.

His loud words snapped Sara out of contemplation, and she examined the sight.

"So be it, it's on then, Itto!" Aether cracked his knuckles as a form of intimidation. The Hero of Inazuma was ready for battle...placing a pouch of mora on the table, he then stood upright.

Aether glanced at Paimon who folded her arms, facing the dark wooden walls, waiting to hear an apology from him. Giving a slight chuckle, he cleared his mouth before speaking,

"Paimon..." Her ears perked at the mention of her name, precisely what he was waiting for. Mischievious intent leaked from his eyes as he spoke out,
"You're the only person I can entrust with this task... Pay the bills with this, okay?"

"What?!" Paimon, who tried her best to ignore Aether, suddenly received a job pushed onto her despite expecting an apology. A wild flurry of complaints were just waiting to be released, but the Traveler had already departed with Itto. This left Paimon and Sara alone together, both baffled over the short course of events.

"Uh... Ma'am Kujou Sara? Sara?" Paimon hesitantly called out,

"Speak. Also...call me as you will."

"Right! Can...you stay nearby outside the restaurant? Aether will be back very soon."

"What makes you think I'm waiting for him? I was just about to leave myself." Sara bluntly said, yet despite her betraying words, she questioned how were her intents discovered so easily?

"O-oh! Uh, then it's fine! Aether will just tell you another day..." Paimon cowered and floated away, turning her back.

"Wait."

"Yeah?" Paimon stared at Sara in confusion,

"Elaborate more on what you said earlier."

"Paimon isn't exactly sure either, Aether told me it was a secret. So you should talk about it with Aether!" She grew energetic and showed support.

"...Thank you for telling me, Paimon."

And so, Sara walked out of the Uyuu restaurant, her heart beating fast for reasons mysterious even to her. She heaved out a uncharacteristic loud sigh, placing her arms on a platform fence. Sara partook in admiring the sight of Narukami's mountains and the alluring bright moon.

A cool but satisfying night breeze blew lightly, pushing her bangs slightly. The subtle scent of sakura blossoms was spread out at dark.

"This day has felt too long..." The Tengu said in her lonesome. It was late outside with nobody around, even the common animals in Inazuma had fallen into sleep. Sara's gaze turned gentle as she stared further at the full-moon in its glory, feeling at peace.

"The moon is beautiful tonight."

"Isn't it?" A rogue voice not of her own interjected, originating out of nowhere. Footsteps were heard as a figure stared advancing closer to Sara. Long yellow braided hair swayed softly from the winds, illuminated by moonlight, and shimmering golden eyes met her own.

"Sorry... Itto wouldn't accept his defeat after I beat him in the match. But, care to join me in long conversation?"

Author's notes: heheeeeee