viii. homerun

CHAPTER EIGHTHOMERUN

CHAPTER EIGHT
HOMERUN

CHAPTER EIGHTHOMERUN

IT WAS CRUEL TO be kind when for a year now your heart has been swallowed whole by a monster that turned into yourself. Question is, what the actual hell is Christy doing? Pretending like she didn't disappear for a month after the night at the lab. Pretending that everyone hadn't heard the rumors that she had died until she appered saying 'fuck you' to everyone that so much even looked at her with just one look. The world was cruel, but Christy was crueler. "So. Has everyone slept well?" Matthew asked. He placed the pan onto the wood onto the table.

On his part of the table― the last seat to the right― was a cup of black coffee that had been made about ten minutes ago. Alex and Christy smiled and nodded as they both drank out their tea. "Maybe you two could deck the table?" Matthew suggests. Alex grabs three plates, hands them to Christy who places them on their places. Three glasses, three forks and three knives were also placed by each plate. They shared the eggs so it was alike for everyone.

"So only two days till it's Friday again." Matthew smiles while he drinks some of his black coffee. Christy looks up from her fork that was playing around in the ocean of scrambled eggs. "Excited for the weekend?" The kitchen was quiet while the two siblings looked at eachother. "Eh, I―" Alex began.

"What Alex is trying to say is that we're very glad to be freed from jail for two days in two days." Christy smiles, she allows herself to eat some of the scrambled eggs. A frown seemed to cover Matthew's face. "You do mean school?" It was Alex that looked at his sister, the look that told her to agree with Matthew. "Oh, yeah! My bad." Christy chuckles, taking a sip of her tea.

The hot water ran down her throat, it seemed to leave it sore from the small burn now. But who cares? It only aches when she swallows, it's nothing. Even with a sore throat she still manages to think about Max Mayfield. The breakfast continued in a slight silence, the crunching of buttered toast and the sipping of hot drink was looked as to not have something to do with noise.

Matthew tossed Christy her baseball jersey while Alex handed her the bat. There was a baseball game right after the school day ended. She put her jersey and white pants in her backpack, the bat she tried to hide her best despite it probably being fully visible.