Chapter Five

-Oliver-

As we made our way up the trail to Mount Storm King, Cooper asked where else I'd traveled and what my worst travel story was. When he laughed, it was a deep, rich sound, and I realized I really liked being around him. He was just as friendly as he'd been on the plane, and he was one of those people who knew how to make anyone feel good about themselves. I needed that after Brad's comments and our disagreement this morning.

The trail wound its way up through the trees, and I appreciated being in a shaded forest. San Diego was great, but it wasn't anything like this. As we got closer to the top, there were some views of other mountains and part of the lake, and the trail got rockier. I was hesitant about how the trail narrowed, and I carefully stepped forward, making sure my feet were on solid ground. When I made it over to where Cooper had stopped, I saw him picking up the end of a rope from the ground. The other end was tied to a tree trunk twenty feet up a rocky slope, and then the trail continued past that.

"There is a bit of scrambling to reach the top. Some people climb up without the rope, but it does make it easier to pull yourself up. I like to keep it in my hands in case any of the loose rock slides around under my feet, but it's usually fine. Do you want to go first, or should I?"

"You can go first so I can see what to do."

I watched him make his way up, seeming to walk easily up the rocks as he kept the rope in one hand. When he got to the tree it was tied to, he set it down and waited for me. I picked up my end and held onto it with both hands as I started taking a few steps up. There were small, loose rocks all over, and some of them rolled down behind me as I went up. I didn't like that at all, and we were too high for my comfort.

I felt lightheaded and my hands started shaking. I knew it was probably fine, but what if I stepped wrong and fell? What if the rope broke? My breaths were starting to come faster, and I paused where I was.

Cooper was watching me. "How are you doing?"

I knew I should say something to him, but I couldn't catch my breath. I shook my head.

"I'm coming to you," he said. "I'm going to put a hand on the rope, so you'll feel it move a little."

As Cooper carefully made his way down to me, I looked down at the ground instead of the rock sloping away from me.

"Are you okay?" he asked, stepping down on the rock next to me. "Let's take some deep breaths."

When I trusted myself to speak, I glanced over at him. "Heights aren't my favorite thing. And I feel like I'm going to fall."

"That's my fault. I should have asked about that before bringing you up here. How about you start stepping backward, and I'll guide you."

I looked behind me and took a step down, still holding tightly to the rope.

"I've got you," Cooper assured me. He kept a hand on me at all times, and he was steady and strong. A comforting presence, just like he'd been on the plane. I was happy to reach level ground again.

"Sorry," I muttered.

"Don't be sorry. Everyone has turned around on a hike before. It's not a big deal if we don't get to the top."

I still felt embarrassed. "Am I going to be able to do anything else out here, if I can't handle this?"

"Of course! There are tons of hikes that don't require any scrambling or ropes. This is one of the more adventurous short hikes."

"Guess I'm not that adventurous," I said, trying to smile.

"Hey, it's your first time hiking in a place with real mountains. You'll gain confidence the more you hike. It's me who was barreling along without taking that into account." I think he could tell I felt bad, so he gave me a huge hug - the very definition of a bear hug. "We passed a spot on the way up that has similar views to the top. You can get good pictures of Lake Crescent from there."