Chapter Eighteen

-Oliver-

When I woke up, I was filled with a sense of dread and sadness. Part of it was because my vacation was ending and soon I'd be back to real life, with work and chores and the monotony of the same things happening over and over again. But part of it was because everything was different now - I was going back home to pack up my stuff after the end of a relationship, and I was leaving someone I didn't want to say goodbye to.

I slowly sat up, careful to be gentle and not disturb Cooper. He'd need to wake up in a few minutes so we could make breakfast before we had to start driving to the airport, but I wanted a moment to look at him. 

His dark eyelashes rested on his cheekbones, matching the color of his beard and the short hair on his head. His face had a boyish charm when he smiled, but with his face relaxed as he slept, he was handsome in a rugged way. He was a man I'd feel lucky to wake up to every day.

I leaned down and nuzzled his nose with mine. Before he even opened his eyes, his arms were around me, pulling me down on top of him.

"Do we have to get up?" he mumbled. "I wanna keep you here."

"And I want to stay," I replied, pushing my face into his neck, his beard tickling my face. "But unfortunately I have to go home."

Cooper rolled us to the side and finally opened his pretty hazel eyes. He kissed me, letting his lips linger before pulling back. "I can make us breakfast while you pack up."

I kissed him back, nibbling on his lips and then deepening the kiss. His hands were in my hair, and then he ran them down my back before wrapping his arms around my waist. Our bodies were pressed together and I pushed one of my legs between his. I couldn't leave without being with him one last time.

"Maybe we can take some granola bars and bananas in the truck for breakfast instead. You know, so we have more time."

"I like that idea," Cooper replied, a grin spreading across his face.

-

An hour later, after a quick shower and rounding up all of my stuff, my bag was packed and sitting by the front door. I couldn't believe the time had gone so quickly and the whole trip was over. I wanted to rewind the last two weeks and start all over again.

Cooper walked over to me, truck keys in hand. "You got everything?"

"I think so."

"Well, as much as I want to keep you, we better leave so we make sure to get to the airport on time."

I wrapped my arms around Cooper and buried my face in his chest. I didn't want to leave. I didn't want to have to say goodbye to this man. Cooper was incredible, and Washington was amazing, and I felt like I was leaving home instead of going home.

Cooper rubbed my back as we stood there, and I wished I could freeze time. There was a lot I wanted to say to him, but it wouldn't do any good for either of us. I knew he liked me, but there was a possibility I was reading too much into this entire thing. We got along like two old friends and the sex was amazing, but was it just a great two-week-long hook up?

Before I could doubt the situation and Cooper's feelings anymore, I gave him one last squeeze and stepped away. "You're right, we should go," I said, picking up my bag.

-

For the first few hours of the drive, we listened to music and talked and laughed with each other. Only Cooper could make a long car ride this fun, and the thought crossed my mind about what it would be like to go on a multi-day road trip with him. But as we neared the airport, the mood in the truck changed and we both got quieter.