Chapter Eight

-Oliver-

When I got back from Sol Duc Falls, it was just starting to get dark. Cooper and I had stayed at the falls for a while, and then wandered around on another short trail in the area. Time seemed to pass quickly whenever I was with him.

Brad was reclined on the bed with the TV on. "Why were you gone so long? I was about to go get dinner without you."

"Sorry. Cooper and I lost track of time."

Brad rolled his eyes. "You actually wanted to hang out with that redneck again?"

"Stop calling him that! He's not a redneck."

"He looks like one to me. Are you sure it's a good idea to hang out with him? People like that typically aren't okay with us. He could easily overpower you and drag you behind his truck or call up some of his buddies to help him beat a gay man."

I glared. "Cooper is gay, just like us."

Brad's mouth dropped open, and I could tell he was speechless.

"You should know better," I continued.

"How was I supposed to guess that he's gay? Did you know the moment you sat next to him on a plane?" he accused me.

"No, I didn't. And yes, I was a little surprised, but I didn't question it or judge him for not fitting the gay stereotype."

A muscle in Brad's jaw twitched as he glared at the TV.

"I wouldn't have to hang out with him if you would actually spend time with me, like we were supposed to on this trip."

"Is that what this is? You're trying to punish me by hanging out with another guy?"

"Are you threatened?"

Brad snorted. "Threatened by some backwoods hick that works two manual labor jobs? No."

I shook my head, exasperated by his continuous insults and his inability to grasp the point I was making. "No, Brad, I'm not trying to make you jealous. I actually want to spend time with you, my boyfriend, but you're acting like this entire trip is a chore for you. Like you don't even want to spend time with me."

"That's ridiculous. Of course I want to spend time with you."

"Then act like it! Don't keep leaving me to hike on my own! Put me first for once!"

"I do put you first!" Brad yelled, getting to his feet. "I took two weeks away from my career to come on this trip with you, to bumfuck Washington, when I'd rather go somewhere more exciting!"

I felt tears welling in my eyes. "See?" I said, my voice getting quieter. "You make it sound like you made a huge sacrifice to spend time with me, instead of looking forward to it. I want you to be excited about me and about us."

Brad sighed and put one hand over his face, closing his eyes. "Okay," he said, his voice eerily calm and measured. "Let's get some food. I think I'm irritable because I'm hungry. We can talk after that."

I was too upset to go anywhere in public with him, so I shook my head. "I'm not hungry, and I need to take a shower. You go ahead. Pick whatever restaurant you want."

Brad looked like he wanted to say something, and then decided against it. "Fine. I'll bring you back something, okay?" He stepped forward and gave me a quick kiss on the forehead, and then picked up his jacket and left.

Things didn't get any better between us. I could tell Brad was trying when he came back from the restaurant, but it felt like we were both going through the motions. We ended up having sex, him pushing into me with sharp thrusts, but it wasn't the same as before. It was like the magic and our desire for each other had worn off.