Bonus Chapter: Surprise

-Cooper-

As I laid in my bunk, I turned on the satellite phone and read through the texts between me and Oliver. I was almost halfway through my fishing job and reading Oliver's texts had become a routine for me.

"I hiked to Marymere Falls today. Our first hike together. I thought of you the entire time and as soon as you're back we need to go on a hiking date. :) We can relive our experience and maybe this time I can get to the top of Mount Storm King."

"Annabelle and I baked confetti cupcakes today and frosted them with buttercream icing. And topped them with sprinkles. You would have loved them. She promises that the three of us can make them again when you're back."

"I love you and miss you."

"Thinking about you and your sexy ass. I miss it so much. I want to grab it and squeeze it and then fuck you through the bed."

"I miss your bear hugs and all your cuddles in the morning. I even miss your beard tickling my face and waking me up."

The next one was heartbreaking, and most of the time I skipped it. But today I felt like torturing myself, so I read it. Oliver had sent it five days ago, shortly after two in the morning.

"I can't sleep. I miss you so much. The bed's too big without you and I want to feel your body pressed against mine and your arms around me. I miss your smile and your big booming laugh and your eyes and your lips. I'm counting down the days until you're back. I love you more than I thought it was ever possible to love someone. I miss you I miss you I miss you. I can't wait until you're back home. I love you so much."

I had cried the first time I read it. My heart ached and I could feel how much Oliver missed me, because I missed him the same way. I loved deep sea fishing - being out on the ocean and all the hard work and the thrill of a great catch - and I knew I didn't ever want to give it up, but I had to admit it was damn hard to be away from the man I loved.

Oliver buying the satellite phone had made a big difference though. I worked long hours and had little free time, but we texted all the time and I made a point to call Oliver every few days. We couldn't talk for hours like I wanted to, but it helped to hear Oliver's voice and talk to him in real time.

I got up from my bunk and made my way up to the deck for our call. Sometimes it was a challenge to find a quiet place to talk where I wasn't in the way, but I didn't let anything keep me from calling Oliver.

He answered almost immediately. "Hey, Coop!"

"Hey, love. It's good to hear your voice," I replied. I'd give anything for a hug from Oliver right now.

"It's good to hear yours. I miss you. How's the weather? Are you getting enough sleep?"

Oliver always had a lot of questions about how I was doing and how the job was going. My answers didn't vary much, so I spent most of our calls asking him what was going on back home. He had a lot more to report, and I enjoyed listening to him talk and letting the sound of his voice wash over me.

"You've got a short break coming up, right?" he asked, after filling me in on my family and a hike he'd gone on a couple days ago.

"Yep. We'll be at Dutch Harbor in Alaska for two days."

"What are you going to do? I'm sure you've probably been there before, but are you going to go see anything while you're there?"

I laughed. "I'll be sleeping and eating. That's what a lot of us do. I'm looking forward to being in a real bed and having access to a nicer shower and different food."