Chapter Twenty Two

-Cooper-

Oliver had been weird lately. It was subtle, but he sounded almost nervous on our phone calls and there was a text he sent last week that I kept going back to.

"You like me, right? I'm not imagining all of this? "

I didn't know why he asked and I hoped it wasn't because he was having second thoughts about us continuing to talk, but I reassured him the best I could. Maybe I had shown my hand a little too much, but I needed him to know that I was still very much interested in him.

"Of course I like you. A lot. You're amazing and I think about the two weeks we spent together all the time. I wish you were here to hike with me and have picnics in the woods. And I wish you were in my bed. I miss your body on mine and the way we fit together. I miss you. I don't know where this is going, but I want it to work. I want you in my life however you'll have me, even if it's just friends. Even if it's long distance."

"Thanks, Cooper. I feel the same."

I read it over and over. He said he felt the same, and seeing that had made me float around in a happy daze the rest of the day. That should be all that mattered. But I had poured my heart out, and his response was short. I was confused, to say the least.

The last thing I wanted was another guy from a city leading me on and making me think he was interested in making things work with me. I'd been burned by this almost every time in the past. I didn't want this to end with Oliver asking me to move to California or even just move to Seattle. I didn't want him to string me along and have fun with me from a distance until he found someone who lived closer. I didn't think Oliver was like that, or that he would do those things, but I needed answers.

-

On my way home from work, I called Oliver. As much as I wanted answers about his text and the way he felt, I also wanted to hear his voice.

"Hey, Coop!" he answered. "What's up?"

"Driving home. Thinking about you."

I could tell he was smiling when he replied. "I've been thinking about you, too. How was work?"

"It was good. The usual. But um, I wanted to ask about that text you sent."

"I hope that wasn't weird. I was going to explain the next time I talked to you. Which unfortunately can't be now, since I'm still at work and we've got a big deadline with one of our studies. We've got a lot going on the next two days and I'm picking up a few shifts at the hospital too, so I'm barely going to be able to text, let alone call. But how about I make it up to you with a video call? You free on Saturday afternoon?"

"For you, I'll make time."

He laughed. "Sometimes I still can't believe it when you say things like that. It's the complete opposite of my experience with Brad. Anyway, I've got to go, but I'm happy you're in my life. Just know that."

"I'm happy to be in your life. Try not to work too hard, okay? I'll talk to you on Saturday."

I hung up the phone and watched the evergreen trees pass by my truck in a blur as I drove. I did feel a little sad that the call had been so short. I missed Oliver a lot, more than I would ever let on.

And I was still confused. I hadn't gotten any of the answers I wanted, and I was going to have to wait until Saturday for that. Two days had never felt so far away.

-

When Saturday afternoon finally arrived, I was trying to keep my nerves under control. I didn't know if Oliver was about to tell me that he just wanted to stay friends, or if he was going to ask about a long distance relationship. I tried to prepare myself for both possibilities and not let myself hope that we'd end the call as boyfriends.