Chapter Thirteen

-Cooper-

Once we were down Hurricane Ridge Road and back on Highway 101, Oliver reached over and took my hand, intertwining our fingers. I couldn't stop smiling. All I'd ever wanted was a man in my truck, holding my hand as we drove home after a day outside. I was completely content and happier than I'd been in months.

In just a few minutes, Oliver's grip on my hand loosened, and I looked over to see him asleep in the passenger's seat. It was a long drive, so I didn't blame him. I let him sleep until we pulled into my driveway, and gently shook him awake when I turned off the truck. "We're home."

Oliver sat up straighter, blinking and rubbing one hand over his forehead. "Sorry for falling asleep. I should have stayed awake to keep you company."

"Don't worry about it. I'm used to driving for hours on my own."

Oliver followed me inside, and when I turned around after locking the door, he was standing right in front of me. "Hey," he said, putting his arms around my neck. "Thank you for today." He reached up and kissed me, his lips barely brushing mine.

I wrapped my arms all the way around his waist and nuzzled his nose with my own. "Always. I love hanging out with you and showing you all the best parts of my state."

Oliver kissed me again, pressing his body against mine, but then he broke the kiss and pulled away to yawn. "Sorry."

"You're tired," I said. "And this is probably a sign that we should take things slow."

"I don't want to take things slow, but slow would be the smart thing to do."

"You're not just a hook-up for me," I confessed. "If this was just about sex, there wouldn't have been this hesitation and doubting. One of us would have flat out asked the other the moment Brad was out of the picture. But I think we know there's something more here, or at least I think there is," I said, knowing my cheeks were turning pink.

"I think so too. You're someone I want to see again, even after this trip ends." Oliver smiled, and then kissed me one more time. "Goodnight, Cooper."

"Goodnight."

I watched him trudge into the guest bedroom, and then I went into my own bedroom and got ready to sleep. Even though I was the only one in my bedroom, I smiled the entire time. Oliver liked me too. I could finally treat him like someone I was dating, instead of just as a friend.

I had only been laying down for a few minutes when I heard a knock on my bedroom door.

"Come in!" I called. When Oliver cracked open the door and peeked inside, I turned on one of the lamps beside my bed. "Do you need something?"

"I know we're supposed to be taking things slow, but I don't want to be alone tonight. Can I stay in here with you?" he asked, his big brown eyes imploring me to say yes.

"Of course." I scooted over in my bed and pulled the blanket back.

Oliver slid into my king-sized bed. "Thanks. I know you probably don't want to hear this, but I'm still feeling sad about Brad and I haven't slept very well since the break-up."

"It was only a few days ago," I said softly. "I don't blame you for feeling sad. I didn't expect you to get over it anytime soon."

He gave me a small smile. "You're helping. I'm not dwelling on it as much as I would be if I was back in San Diego."

"Good. Let me know if there's anything else I can do."

"Thanks, Cooper. You've been perfect already. I mean, a week ago I didn't even know you, but you've helped me out so much."