Outgoing Shark and Secluded Bear (3)

Fire crackling, air whistling, and the water ebbs and flows. These noises fill the silence as the three of us sat down to rest after our battle with the sea serpent moments ago.

Typhim sits a few inches away from me casually trying to start a conversation from time to time. Brutus, however, is stationed further away from me and Typhim, eyes shut and with slow deep breaths.

The stillness lasts for some time until Typhim decides to break it once again, while scratching his head he says:

"Hey, any idea on what can we do next?"

He smiles akwardly as he lets out his botched sentence.

He looks towards Brutus, no response came. Then he directs his gaze to me. I tried to make a response but nothing comes to mind.

"C'mon! Nothing?" Typhim tries to continue the conversation.

"My apologies, nothing comes to m- Ah... Ah-choo!" I replied but was interrupted by a sneeze.

I sniffled a bit before speaking once more:

"I'm sorry, I wasn't able to dry myself properly an- Ah-choo!"

Another sneeze came which made Typhim even more concerned than the first. He then looks over to Brutus and suggested:

"Hey Brutus! Can you warm Quinnii up for me?" This request seems to bother the bear as I see his eyebrow twitch for a second.

"We made a campfire for a reason! Just move him closer to the fire!" Brutus argues, eyes still closed but with an agitated expression.

"Hmm." Typhim thinks for a bit then carries out his mischievous act. He stood up and goes to me then-

"Hyup!" picks me up by my armpits with ease and slowly makes his way to the angry bear.

Quinnii: "A-ah! Typhim please put me down! There's no reason to-!"

"There is definitely a reason!" The shark says as his grin grows wider.

"Whatever are you doi-?!" Brutus asks and finally opens his eyes but was too late.

Typhim: "There we go!"

Typhim had set me down onto the lap of Brutus, who seemed very astonished before returning to his angered state.

Brutus: "What is the meaning of this?!"

His roar echoes throughout the lake but Typhim looks unbothered.

Typhim: "Just give it a try for once! Ever since we were kids you've only been close to me and few people of your kind."

Brutus: "I have not befriended you, you just didn't go away even if I did threaten you many times."

After Brutus replied Typhim poses dramatically as he says:

"Agh! You wound me!"

He then smiles and sticks his tongue out. This doesn't alleviate Brutus' mood one bit so he stops his teasing.

Typhim: "But to be serious, it's not like it hurts both of you."

"I-... Bu-..." Brutus stammers more but gives up as he lets out an exasperated sigh.

"Fine." He then says which made Typhim brighten up even more.

I slowly look up towards the bear. And when I did both our eyes meet.

We stare at each other for a few more seconds before we both look away quickly, our cheeks growing even more red.

"I-I'm so sorry." I whispered to him.

"No, it isn't your fault." He whispered as well.

"Aww! Look at you two lov-!" Typhim teases once more but Brutus and I shut him down at the same time:

Brutus: "Shut it!"

Quinnii: "Enough, please!"

...

...

...

"So, Quinnii, what do feel about the kingdoms?" Typhim suddenly asked.

It took me some time to choose my words correctly before I began saying:

"I have no complains. The people are surprisingly welcoming for a being like me. Well, Espeirio does welcome all as long they keep the balance."

I pause for a bit, thinking of what to say. It's only been a few days and a lot has happened. I even got to meet all princes! Yet still...

"But I still have yet to find my next master." I blurted out.

Typhim: "Next master?"

Quinnii: "Ah. Yes. That was my reason for being in here."

Typhim seemed... pained from my forwardness, he then asks again:

"Is that all?"

Quinnii: "Yes. I have no other plans for my life than to serve a master."

"... For that is all I am; a tool." I continued. Typhim looks even more unhappy when I finished my sentence.

His face then turns to anger, a contrast to his often cheery self, then looks at me straight in the eyes.

Typhim: "You shouldn't throw away your life like that!"

I was taken aback, then he lets on onto his scolding:

"You have a greater purpose than just being a tool! You're the last of your kind for the gods sake!"

Quinnii: "Then what else shall I do?"

Typhim couldn't respond. He tried to but can't get any word out.

Then Brutus speaks up, putting his hand on my shoulder.

"Make a different purpose of course. Live your life to its fullest; make friends, explore hobbies, or maybe..."

He stills for a while then looks away blushing and continues:

"M-marry someone and start a family."

Silence then falls upon us. I was left to think on my own.

Even so, how can I? All my life I never got to experience what it may feel to live not as a servant. Serving and battling in war, that is what I was conditioned to do for the rest of my years.

As I continued to ponder I didn't notice that I had leaned closer to the bear's chest. He was a bit surprised but didn't attempt to nudge me away, instead, he puts both his arms at my front and brought me even closer as a way to support me.

Companions, interests... marriage. How can I make that possible?

...

Maybe...

"Typhim, Brutus." I said, breaking the silence and bringing the two's attention to me.

"Can you... Could you please help me, help me find my other purpose?"

The two beastmen went wide-eyed.

Then Typhim answered with an excited tone and a smile across his face:

"Yes! Yes we can! Right Brutus?" He turns to his friend.

"A-ah. Yes, yes. We will, for you Quinnii." Brutus confirmed, his cheeks flushed as he looks away.

The thought of a new and completely different experience in my life fills my heart with hope. Starting anew may seem a bit scary but it will be worth it.

With a smile on my face I say towards the two:

"Thank you. I am forever indebted to you, my great princes."