The Confession to Verity

There is a knock on the Blamey's door, Verity wonders who would call, especially since Andrew is not at home. Demelza is announced and she goes running to see her cousin. "Oh Demelza," Verity exclaims while hugging her. She bends down, looks at Jeremy then kissing him she looks up and sees the case holding Jeremy's things. She looks at Demelza who burst into tears, "oh dear what has happened." "We need a place to stay for a while and I was hoping you would consider letting us stay here," a tearful Demelza states? "Why of course let me get the servants to bring in your thing, then we'll get you something to eat." Jeremy, sensing his mother's upset does not eat well and since it is close to his bedtime, his mother takes him to her bed wanting to keep him close.  Singing him to sleep with Medhel and Gwyns. Demelza then asks Verity where she can get someone to take the cart and horse back to Dwight. Verity sends her servant out to hire someone to do this with a  note to Dwight asking him to take the cart back to Nampara.
"Well dear what has happened, can you talk about it now or do you prefer to wait." Demelza looks at Verity and asks her, "do you remember when I said that I thought Ross, if given a choice, would choose Elizabeth?" Verity gasps "No he didn't"! "Yesterday evening he came home around 9:00 and after a few minutes we received a note from Elizabeth telling Ross of her intentions to marry George. Ross told me he was going to Trenwith, and I asked him not to. Verity you should have seen the look he gave me when he told me to get out of his way. It was pure hatred. He came home this morning and he told me that it was something he cannot explain, and I must see he had no choice." Demelza giggles. "I may have given him a black eye. Verity I love him with my whole heart, but I can no longer live being second best. Since Francis died not only have I been second best but so has Jeremy and I cannot/will not have him treated as such. Ever since the trial when Ross told me he wanted no more children, to the night of the harvest dinner when Elizabeth's mother made the comment of  me being the scullery maid and I leaving Trenwith with Purdy for Jud, not coming back close to midnight an hearing Ross and Elizabeth talking. The two saying how much they should have been together, Ross saying she being a Great Lady and me being a Scullery maid, well things have been bad." Verity is flabbergasted "how he can do this and say those things, oh my dear I wish I would have known." "We need a place to stay until I figure out my next step," Demelza states. "Well Andrew will be back tomorrow, and we can see what can be done then. Let us go to bed and get a good night's rest." Demelza went up and held Jeremy close to her and made a promise that she would do everything in her power to give him a good life.
Verity sat down and wrote a note to Ross:
Ross
Demelza arrived here with Jeremy, she explained to me what happened. I cannot tell you how disappointed I am in you. You had a wife that loved you with her whole being, Francis would have loved to have had that. He got Elizabeth instead. I did not tell you all that had happened between them, maybe I should have, a lot of the bad times they had was Elizabeth's doing.  Demelza said Elizabeth just told you of her plans. I wonder why she waited so long to inform you and at such a late hour? You do know she has known since Christmas. Maybe she was hoping you would do as you did and proclaim yourself to her. You know of course that night was just the culmination of the past two years events, especially the last six months, when I was there after Francis's death I could see her trying to gain your attention.
Demelza also told me of the money you gave Elizabeth while your own family was surviving on what Demelza could manage with, which from what I understand was almost nothing. Demelza taking care of your home while you took care of Elizabeth and her home.  Demelza was fishing and getting the food for the household also who was gathering and chopping wood Demelza. Have you seen her hands I am appalled that a husband would allow that! Did you know Elizabeth was also taking help from George monetary and other? You told Demelza that she had you to keep the wind at bay, did she really have you , because it seems to me Elizabeth had you? I think what Demelza finally realized is not only has she been second best, but so has Jeremy. Demelza realizes you and Elizabeth will have to live at Nampara since George would not allow her to keep Trenwith, unless you have the money to pay her debts. I just hope you can live with the choice you have made, to lose a wife as loving and good as yours, for someone like Elizabeth is beyond me. She will not be the understanding helpmate, I know she wasn't to Francis.  Jeremy definitely will not thrive with Elizabeth. Don't worry though we will help Demelza to set up a life for her and HER son. You can now take care of Elizabeth's and hers. If you believe this is what Francis would have wanted then you did not know him. I believe he spent more time at Nampara then his own home.  Why do you suppose that was? Even Francis realized what you had. I am truly sorry for your loss but it will be someone else's gain.
Your cousin
Verity
Verity went to her servant and asked him to post as soon as possible which means from Falmouth to Turo  it should be delivered tomorrow.

Please leave likes❤️ or comments. Do you Ike the song chose for this chapter?