The Ball

Demelza enjoyed working as a Nanny, the children loved Jeremy and treated him like a little brother. Lord Falmouth was very lenient with all her request. Ross had come almost every day for two weeks and ask to take Jeremy and her out riding. Her response was always the same, no with various responses, we are to busy, Jeremy is tired, I do not feel well etc. etc. Ross then started coming every other day and now it is down to once a week. Sitting outside in the garden she wondered how her hollyhocks were doing, but they were not her flowers anymore. She wondered how John, Jane, Jinny, Jud, and Purdy were. She missed them terribly but most of all she missed Ross, the cheating low account, good for nothing, and the love of her life.  She heard that Elizabeth married George and wondered how that came about. After sitting for an hour watching the children, they all went inside for lessons. Lord Falmouth requested her presence he was holding a little soiree that he wanted her to attend. He told her he was sending her to town to get a gown and it was to be the best fabric and latest fashion. "My Lord" Demelza said "I cannot accept it is too much." "Nonsense, it is the least I can do, since Lady Glover will not be intendance, I need someone to function as hostess, you will be doing me a favor, therefore it is my duty to purchase your gown." Meanwhile at Trenwith George is trying to get an invite to the event he is looking to obtain a position in Parliament and Lord Falmouth, he feels, is his key to doing this. Elizabeth wants to go because she knows Demelza is there and feels this would be a perfect time to plant the seed of doubt about Demelza in Lord Falmouth's mind. Elizabeth's cousin just married into the aristocracy and tells George they should use his connections for the invite.
On the night of the ball the first friends to arrive is Dwight and Caroline, who Demelza greets immediately, Dwight observes Demelza and realizes that although she is beautiful, she has a lost and forlorn look about her. He also notices she has lost quite a bit of weight. As they are speaking it is announced Mr. and Mrs. George Warleggan, Demelza looks horrified how could Lord Falmouth do this to her, he knows of Ross's betrayal with Elizabeth! Lord Falmouth makes his way to Demelza and asks her to dance. Where he explains he did not know they were invited, and he will find out where the error was made. When the dance finished, Elizabeth makes her way over to Demelza and Lord Falmouth, "Good Evening my Lord," Elizabeth says, she ignores Demelza presence. "It is such a pleasure to be here with all these extinguished guests." Lord Falmouth says "yes, and have you met my hostess for this evening Demelza Poldark, oh yes you must know her since she is married to you late husbands' cousin." "Well yes, a marriage that my Francis disapproved of, also it is my belief they are not living together, I am surprised that you even have her present with such noble people." At that precise time Captain Ross Poldark is announced. Lord Falmouth looks at Demelza and states "my dear why don't you go and greet your husband, I know he is looking forward to see you!" Demelza bows to Lord Falmouth and goes to Ross, then the Lord turns to Elizabeth and tells her, "I have no idea how you or your upstart of a husband got an invite to this party. As my choice of hostess, I have never met anyone more gracious then Demelza and she has more class than you in her little finger then you have in your whole body. If you cannot treat her with the admiration, she deserves you and the upstart may leave." He turned and left Elizabeth fuming her response.
Ross saw Demelza standing with Elizabeth upon his entrance, and he had no idea why Elizabeth would have been invited. Then he saw Demelza making her way to him. Lord Falmouth seems to be having words with Elizabeth then he turned and started making his way toward him also. Demelza reached him "hello Ross" Ross bent and kissed her cheek, "Hello my dear" he said, "I did not know George and Elizabeth was invited?" Demelza said "I do not think they were, well not by Lord Falmouth anyway." Lord Falmouth finally reached them and said what a horrid and classless woman, I will find out how her and the upstart received an invite. I am sorry Demelza she had no right talking to you that way." This perk Ross's ears and he asked what did she say to you," Demelza bent her head and said "it was nothing." Lord Falmouth said "nothing for you to worry about Capt. Poldark it is my party, and I will make sure the slight is repaid." "Why do you not ask you beautiful wife to dance?" Ross offered his hand to lead her to the dance floor. The first dance they dance is the Allemande, Ross keeps her by his side dancing through the County dance, Baroque dance the latter one is one where Elizabeth joined in trying to get to dance with Ross. Ross seeing her takes Demelza hand and leads her off the dance floor and out into the garden. Elizabeth comes off the floor and  follows Ross and Demelza out to the garden. Elizabeth calls to Ross and goes up and puts her hand on his chest.  Ross steps back, and Elizabeth narrows her eyes and says still pretending nothing happen Ross? Ross looks over her shoulder and sees George approaching, "Elizabeth as I told you before that night meant nothing to me, do you really want to do this in front of George because if he leaves you, you really will be alone?" Elizabeth looks angerly at Ross then Demelza and turns on her heels and walks toward George.
Demelza looks at Ross and asks "what did you really say to Elizabeth? I told her I love my wife and I am going to do everything in my power to get her to forgive me my foolishness. I told her that she will never be what you are to me. That the night I spent with her was like spending the night with a lady of the night who I immediately regretted the next morning. When I left that night, I went with the feelings of betrayal from a person I had on a pedestal and that unfortunately led to me mistreating the two people who deserve my love and attention more than anyone. I will never be so call careless, I love you Demelza and I love our son there is no one else I want to bear my children or raise them. There is no one else I want to share my life with but you, please can you forgive me, tell me what I can do to gain your forgiveness and trust and I will do it." Demelza said "well maybe we can start by having a couple of days a week where we can spend time as a family. We will start there and see if we can get some trust back. That being said I am still going to stay here and work as a Nanny because until that trust comes back, I cannot move back to Nampara." Ross kissed her hand and said I understand. Can we spend tomorrow at the Hendrana Beach with Jeremy I really want to teach him how to swim and enjoy the water.

Please leave likes❤️ or comments. Do you Ike the song I chose for this chapter?