Chapter 12 : Useless Attempts

Winter and Bucky finally arrived at Buckys house for dinner right on time, the two now standing outside the door, mentally preparing themselves for the chaotic night ahead of them.

"Yeah, I'm not ready for this shit. What if they just keep shutting us down? Or they think we're just lying? Or...or-"

"Woah, calm the fuck down. We'll make them believe us. Nobody's leaving this house until everyone knows that we're not dating, ok?" Bucky grabbed her shoulders to make Winter look him in the eyes after her sudden state of panic. He received a reluctant nod in response before he sighed with a strong nod in return, reaching over to press his finger to the doorbell.

Winter let out a small laugh, confusing Bucky, "Did you just ring the doorbell to your own house? Seems like I'm not the only one who's panicking," she teased, even though she was still partially freaking out inside.

"Shut up," he grumbled, quickly fumbling around to pull his keys out of the pocket of his jeans and opening the door

The pair walked into the house, hearing the faint chatters of a group of people around the corner in the living room. They slowly and reluctantly walked around the corner to the living room to see a few of their family members conversing happily, sitting around the room.

"We're here," Bucky announced, all heads turning to them. Melissa's expression stood out since she was the only individual that possessed a clear look of displeasure while the rest held cheerful expressions across their faces.

"Yay. The happy couple's here," Melissa sarcastically commented with an eyeroll, not even being able to look at the two.

"Winter, James, where have you been? We've been dying to see you two together like this. You won't believe how proud we are of you two," Winnie informed them, Sylvia and David nodding along with pride.

"Right. We actually wanted to talk-" Bucky started but was interrupted by his father who popped his head around the corner from the kitchen.

"There's been a little problem with dinner. We'll have a slight delay, but it shouldn't take any more than 20 minutes to get back on track."

"Why's he talking like we're at a restaurant?" Winter whispered to Bucky, keeping her eyes on his father while turning her head slightly to Bucky.

"I don't know," he whispered back, "Trying to be formal for this 'special occasion'?" Bucky shrugged.

"Son, you've got yourself a good one. Don't let good ol' Winter go," he smiled brightly before disappearing and returning back to the kitchen.

"I should go help your father," Winnie announced before leaving to follow her husband.

Bucky let out a soft, nervous chuckle, "Right. Like I was trying to say...Winter and I really aren't dating," he informed while they looked up at the two with blank faces.

"I knew it! I knew something wasn't right. He'd never want someone like you," Melissa laughed. Winter and Melissa never really acted like loving sisters. Winter never knew why Melissa despised her so much. It'd always been like that. Perhaps in Melissa's eyes, WInter had stolen the attention of their parents from her, considering she was the younger child of the two. Although that was no excuse to treat Winter like that.

Over time, Winter became accustomed to Melissa's snarky attitude towards her, so she'd simply slap her right back in the face with the same attitude. She'd spent too many years of her childhood trying to earn her older sister's acceptance.

Winter scoffed at that, "Oh please, if he wanted someone like you, there's no reason he wouldn't want 'someone like me'. I'd just be the upgrade," she cockily stated. Winter didnt enjoy acting full of herself unless it was a joke with her friends, but when it came to people like  Melissa, she just had to shut them down immediately. They were much too aggravating.