Chapter 4: "Priority: Exploration"

--Special Region HQ, Fort Alnus--

It is early morning in Special Region, Ava and 9 other commanding officers of 9 recon platoons sitting in from for a large screen in the briefing room. While recon drones give the UNE a detailed map of the continent, recon platoons will also be sent out to explore the people, culture, political landscape, and most importantly, to possibly find lost UNE civilians. The 5th SIF is part of this mission because while it is not special forces job, there is no real use for their expertise yet and General Nguyen wants to give Ava something to do to get her mind off her mother.

"Are we clear of our mission objectives? If you have any questions this is the time" General Nguyen asks after he finishes the mission briefing. The screen displays a map and sections assigned to each recon platoon.

"What's our ROE sir?" one of the officers asks.

"Assume hostility but do not shoot first, your unit's safety is your top priority" General Nguyen replies.

"What if we find one of our people sir?"

"If you deem it safe to extract them then proceed with the extraction and call for evac" General Nguyen answers and then waits for the next question. When he is sure there's no more he continues "Remember we want to win the local heart and mind, so be careful but don't be reckless. Dismiss!"

Ava arrives at the North Gate where the rest of the 5th SIF and other recon units are waiting for order. Each platoon is assigned 1 APC, 1 IFV, and 1 Lander-2 tank for fire support. The 5th SIF, the extra tank crew of 3 marines and 1 new comms specialist quickly form up in front of the vehicles when they spot Ava.

"Ten-hut!" Ashley shouts the command as others stand at attention.

"At ease" Ava continues "We are one of the first to explore this whole new world, there will be danger and we might face the enemy. They have proven that they have the ability to harm us so I will give it my best and I expect each of you to do the same. Some of them might be human but they are still aliens so standard FCP is applied and always be on guard. However, we are trying to get to know the native species and establish connections so if you have no good reason to shoot, keep your finger off the trigger".

She stops and looks at the tank crew and the comm specialist welcome them, she already knows their names and ranks through TACNet "So you guys are our plus 4, welcome to the team".

"Specialist Chris Turner, It's an honor to be here, Ma'am!" Chris salutes.

"Specialist Turner, TACNet says you're fresh out of the academy. This is your first tour correct?" Ava returns the salute.

"Yes, ma'am!".

"At ease Turner, just follow your training you'll be fine" Ava remembers the day she was fresh out of training as she smiles and continue "And Commander is fine".

"I just wanna say Commander, you and the 5th SIF are legends. It's an honor to be put under your command" Staff Sergeant Gary Jones speaks for his tank crew in his Texas accent.

"It came with a cost Staff Sergeant" Ava nods in appreciation and then continues "Alright, everyone mounts up".

Ave walks to her APC and mumbles to herself "A cost too big" while remembering the loss of all the men and women under her command when they were doing the "Suicide Mission". She gets in the command APC and orders Rob to start the engine then signal the unit to move out. Ashley will be in the IFV with Jimmy and the 2nd squad.

"Intel from the recon drones say that there is a small village 2 days from Fort Alnus, that will be our first stop" Ava talk to the unit through radio while looking at the holographic map in front of her seat.