Chapter 28: "Priority: The Plague".

--World building fact--

The basic building block of all matters (solids, gases and liquids) is composed of atoms. There are many types of atoms, material that consists of only 1 type of atom that has the same number of protons is called a basic element. An atom is formed by 3 main subatomic particles that are protons, neutrons and electrons. At the center of the atom is the nucleus.

The replicating technology of the UNE works by reducing all matters into these 3 subatomic particles and storing them as "mass". With mass, a replicator could construct anything by arranging the subatomic particles to form the right type of atoms in order to create the right element. In order to replicate something, however, it also needs a blueprint to be stored in the memory or the object to be scanned first. Blueprints used by the UNE detail down to the subatomic structure of the required type of atoms.

Basically, with this technology, the UNE can just gather up any asteroids or break down the entire planet to turn them into mass and then replicate any element to build anything they want.

--Fort Alnus, Spes--

As the D-20 is descending from orbit, the passengers inside could look down the growing town of Alnus. Just like in Sadera, the town also has quarantine sections closed off by holographic ribbons. Ambulances, white paint and red cross, are zipping across the sky between Alnus Town and Fort Alnus along with the medical capsules.

"The hell happened here?" Jimmy says.

Ava accesses the console and looks on TACNet "Some kind of an outbreak, it's happening across the continent. The virus seems to just cause our people a really bad fever but it's deadly to the locals".

"I remember everything was fine a week ago before we left" Ashley says as she looks down to the town "And now it's all over the continent?".

"You're right, this thing must have already been spreading for weeks. Months even" Jimmy replies.

Lelei and a member of the CDC are already waiting for Ava at the landing pad. It has been months since the last time Lelei met the 5th SIF as she volunteered to help the science department to research magic and find a way to combine technology with magic.

"Hello, commander" Lelei greets Ava as the commander is stepping out of the D-20 in her usual calm voice.

"Lelei! Longtime no see, how's things with you?" Ava asks.

"Hmm, the process of combining magic and technology developed by the Prothean is mana consuming and very exhausting. I've also been working with your people to study the magic side of the Excalibur project and the amount of mana required to turn it on is gargantuan..." Lelei going on about her works.

Amused, Ava interrupts Lelei "I'm fine is ok, Lelei" she smiles.

"Oh, in that case, I'm fine, commander" Lelei replies.

Ava smiles then looks that the woman next to Lelei "and you are?".

"I'm Laura Siz, CDC, it's nice to meet you, commander. We have an important matter to discuss with you" Laura says as she shakes Ava's hand.

"That's correct, General Nguyen wants us to tell brief you in person" Lelei says.

"Ok, let's walk" Ava says as she walks towards the barrack.

"A woman reported to our field hospital in Sadera 5 days ago with severe symptoms, bleeding from her eyes and ears, blisters all over her body and her skin was falling off. She reported intense pain and died a few hours after that. The investigation suggested that she believe she was cursed and was praying until she could not take the pain anymore and came to us, sadly, there was nothing we could do for her" Laura says.