Chapter 29: "Priority: Rondel"

----

Joint Chief Brooklyn King presented President Liam with a solution to the concern of sending UNE men and women to fight in foreign space. He proposed that the UNE create a foreign legion unit that any non-citizenship could enlist in. The UNE military officers are going to take up high-ranking positions but positions from battalion level down to squad leader will be given to any capable "alien" personnel.

This is a strictly ground warfare unit and will be equipped with standard UNE gears, slightly modified to fit with unique characteristic of each species. They will receive the full benefit of a soldier within the UNE military and will be offered a chance to become UNE citizens by the end of their enlistment. Within only a day of announcement, over 2 million alien refugees signed up to join the legion. These include both ex-military of their fallen nations and those who had never taken up arms before but they are all eager to take the fight back to the Reaper.

They will have to go through basic training to familiarize themselves with UNE's doctrine and combat tactics. It is also time for the officers to learn the capabilities of their soldiers and how to use them. This is mostly a political move by Terra Sphere as space battles are still the main factor that decide the outcome of this war. Without space superiority around an objective, any ground forces would most likely ineffective or outright useless.

--Somewhere near Rondel--

Unlike the first time they set foot on this world, surveillance satellites are now orbiting Spes watching every millimeter of the planet. The 9th Terra was transferred to the border and a guardian fleet replaced it in orbit of Spes, ready to provide COBS at any given moment. Air support is minute away from anywhere on the planet and ground reinforcement is minutes to less than an hour. Because of that, there is no need to attach extra firepower with the 5th SIF.

"Commander" Lelei breaks the silence of boredom.

Ava swipes the holographic map down and turn to look at Lelei sitting at the back of the APC "Yes?".

"I've been reading about your culture, history and your ways of life. It's all very interesting but there's one thing I don't understand" Lelei says "You people see yourself as a peaceful civilization yet you build weapons of mass destruction that are capable of destroying worlds and systems of worlds. It doesn't make any sense"

"We're peaceful not pacifist, the UNE has always been willing to find a peaceful solution to all problems but we are not shy away from using force to defend ourselves" Ava replies.

"So the Empire was lucky because they started a war with you? If it were any other nation they would've been destroyed?" Lelei continues asking.

"Well, that's a tricky question because every nation in the galaxy has different policies to deal with invaders but yes most of them would just glass the planet and none of you would survive" Ava says.

"By the gods be merciful" Grey says as he realized how lucky he and the people of Falmart was.

"Rondel is 2 klicks out" Rob announces over the radio.

"Alright people, Pina sent a messenger to inform Rondel of our arrival but she also pressed that it's just formality. The city runs on its own laws and government so don't go poking around places you're not supposed to unless you're ordered" Ava says then she remembers something and continues "And David, behave".

"Whaaaaat?" He replies as everyone laughs.

"Ermm...commander?" Rob says.

"Yea I see that too" Ava says as the view screen zoom on the gate "what is he doing here?".