Chapter 12: Digging for Clues

I will always love you but this is the end for us

The Future: 

The umbrella was held for him. He was not a man who needed help from many but right now he did. Why would the rain not stop so the funeral can proceed with no obstacles?

He was unable to solve the murder and now it led to a disastrous consequence for him. His wife Liza held his upper arm, trying to comfort him but all he wanted to do was yell and scream and break things but it would not bring him back.

Dante knelt down to the edge of the plot where the victim would be laid to rest forever.

His eyes were blurry from the tears which fell as he said, "I failed you. I should have paid more attention to your actions. Instead of dismissing you, I should have listened to you. I should have stopped your pursuit of the truth. Now it's too late and I cannot turn back time."

Liza dressed in black, knelt down to her husband and tried to hold him up and prevent him from doing something irrational.

+++

The Present: 

His heart pounded on his chest as stood there recalling asking Laney for permission to visit the place. The scene had been cleaned since the horrible event happened which shook their world.

He found himself shivering as he looked at what was the scene of crime, where one of his best friends was shot and killed and for what, no one knew. No motive was given as of yet.

The flowers swayed ominously as he walked down the cobble stone road to the red door with the bronze knocker. His body was perspiring and he did not know why but he had a hunch.

What did Luciano feel when that presence came out of know where and shot him. Did he have an inkling that this would happen?

Did the killer engage him in conversation before he pulled the trigger or was it all so fast Luciano did not even have time to react to it? He hoped it was the latter.

The digital crime board had Luciano's phone missing and he knew Luciano left the train with his phone in hand so it had to be in his possession or that of the killer. If he found the phone perhaps, he could help his brother solve the case and bring justice for Luciano.

As he walked, his foot landed on a loose stone. He stooped down and placed his palm on the stone. It was uneven and wobbled, but with a quick pace one would not know the stone was loose as it was close to the edge next to the grass and flowers.

He pulled on the stone and it moved to reveal a little hole and there was the missing iPhone, that the crime scene investigators could not locate.

Dominic picked up the phone and looked at the placement of stone, the grass and the borders of the path. He assumed when Luciano was shot, he dropped his phone, it hit the border and slid underneath the loose stone.

The phone was dead as he held it in the palm of his hand and it was most likely on silent. He wanted to run to Dante and show him he had located the phone but then all the red tape would be set in place to keep him from knowing if the phone yields any clues.

"Sorry Dante," said Dominic to himself. "I will hand this over once I combed through it's contents."

"Luciano, I will help find your killer. I promise," said a saddened Dominic.

He looked down at the last relic from his friend and then to the red door. He wanted to just walk over and hand it to the family so they would have an item so small but held the world, memories and life of Luciano. But he decided against it until he investigated its contents for himself.